• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed does. When should I be worried?

My girls were spayed yesterday. Jessie has perked up slightly (moving around more and cleaning herself) Faith isn't as much preferring to sit in the same spot.

Jessie is eating more then Faith (though both are off their pellets and hay) but isn't pooping much ( 1 poop found this morning and another just recently). Faith isn't eating as much but is pooping better then Jessie (4 poops this morning 3 not long ago).

I don't know what is normal for them 24 hours post op with regards to eating and popping. Vet receptionist said to ring them this afternoon if they don't eat or poop which they are doing but very slowly.

Also how often should they be weeing both have only weed once since getting home last night x

Have they both had pain relief today?

You should have been sent home with at least 3-5 days worth.

If you have not, please contact your vet and ask for metacam for them both, appropriate to their weights.

Also, ask if they have had any gut stimulant before they left the vet - you will likely need to ask for emeprid/metoclopramide to give them to stimulate their appetites.

In my experience it is normal for them not to eat pellets for 24/48 hrs. There is some output which is positive, if you can encourage a little bit of gentle movement it can help get the guts moving. However I totally agree with Graham, if you dont have any pain relief ask your vet for some as any they were given at the vets will of worn off by now. How is their drinking?

Have they both had pain relief today?

You should have been sent home with at least 3-5 days worth.

If you have not, please contact your vet and ask for metacam for them both, appropriate to their weights.

Also, ask if they have had any gut stimulant before they left the vet - you will likely need to ask for emeprid/metoclopramide to give them to stimulate their appetites.

Yes they gave me some pain relief and had their dose a couple of hours ago. Should I call the vets then and ask them to prescribe a gut stimulant? The vet didn't mention it so I assume they didn't have any before leaving. X

In my experience it is normal for them not to eat pellets for 24/48 hrs. There is some output which is positive, if you can encourage a little bit of gentle movement it can help get the guts moving. However I totally agree with Graham, if you dont have any pain relief ask your vet for some as any they were given at the vets will of worn off by now. How is their drinking?

I was given meloxidyl for pain relief and they have had today's dose. Drinking fine although I have to hold the bottle for them as they don't seem to want to move to access it (bowls they tip over straightaway otherwise would give them bowls of water).

Rang vets she said that if I'm really worried to bring them in tonight but that as there has been some output albeit not much then see how they are tomorrow and call back if no change. Daughters have a dance lesson so once I get back from that I will see how they are an go from there x

Last edited:
Just wondering what bowls you gave them? (I realise you normally give them bottles).

Mine have the large ceramic dog bowls to prevent tipping.

Glad they are on the mend.

Daphne wouldn't drink out of her bottle for at least a week after her spay, I put a ceramic bowl of water for her in her cage & that really helped. She didn't start eating until around 36hrs post spay & even then it wasn't a lot. She's made a full recovery though (touch wood).

She started eating hay first, then nuggets and then finally her fave greens. She did quite like the forage bags from PaH.

Hope your girls start feeling better soon. :)

Thanks for the replies. Ceramic bowls I have so will try them tomorrow though they seem to be drinking more now.

Jessie is back to her normal self Faith I think is still feeling uncomfortable (her wound from what I can see is healing nicely). Going to keep them indoors til Tuesday and then let them back outside. Both are eager to have a nosey around our house but neither will go into their pet carriers so I can allow them free reign of the kitchen. When can I start using hay and straw etc to line their hutches? Obviously want to ensure they are healed fully before using them (although they have taken to pulling out their hay from their boxes and placing it in their litterboxes *sigh* x

Sounds like they are recovering nicely, have you still got pain relief to give Faith with her still feeling uncomfortable? I'd ask the vet at the post operative checkup to see what he thinks about when to put hay and straw down to line the hutches, and when they should go back outside. It's been very cold of late at night, so if they are inside in a warm room you will need to try to acclimatise them again to the cold :thumb:

Sounds like they are recovering nicely, have you still got pain relief to give Faith with her still feeling uncomfortable? I'd ask the vet at the post operative checkup to see what he thinks about when to put hay and straw down to line the hutches, and when they should go back outside. It's been very cold of late at night, so if they are inside in a warm room you will need to try to acclimatise them again to the cold :thumb:

Thanks yes both are still having their pain relief each day just incase not sure when would be best to stop giving it the vets receptionist didn't say (or he did and I didn't hear him).

Yes that's what I'm worried about they are in the dining room at the moment radiator is turned off but is still generating heat so the have been toasty and warm indoors. Jessie likes to flop out on the side of her cage closest to the radiator and snooze. Don't want them to get ill by suddenly going back outside where it's cold. I'll speak to the vets tomorrow see what they say. In any case I may put them outside in the day and bring them back in at night and slowly get them used to being out in the cold again . X

Pleased to see bunnies are recovering nicely. You should be safe to use hay now if you want to.

Thank you. Jessie keeps doing binkys in her cage so she's definately back to herself and even came and sat on my lap for a quick cuddle. Faith is doing well too spends most of the day in a corner keeping to herself I think that's because my boys won't leave her alone (20 month old likes to go up any constantly treat hello to her and 3yr old he is a monkey and tries to stroke (poke) her) so there's no wonder . Once everyone is in bed and it's just me she comes to be nosey. It's been nice in a way as I've really been able to bond with them both and Faith seems slightly more trusting of me (she loves being petted now and grinds her teeth in contentment).

So glad they are bouncing back :) that's good to know I can start using bedding again. No more newspaper being ripped to shreds in the night and puddles of wee on the base of their cages (instead of in their litter trays which they tip up) rascals! X

Back