• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my bunny going to die?

Amylou1985

Young Bun
I have had to take my poor mini lop into the vets this morning. His brother passed away suddenly a couple of months ago and myself and my son were devastated but I hate to say it Beethoven has been a happier and more loving bunny since.
We woke up this morning and he was lethargic and floppy so I rushed him to the vets. They have said that he is under weight (dispite having a healthy appetite) and cold. They have admitted him for the day. I am terrified he is going to die. THey have told me not to get my hopes up. I spoke to them an hour ago and they have said his temp has come up slightly but he wont eat.

I am wondering if anyone has any advise or who may have had the same thing happen? I think want I'm hoping is someone will tell me it will all be ok (I know this probably isn't realistic)

xxx

I don't know enough either.

All you can do is what you have done, put him in the hands of professionals. Did the vet say what they thought was wrong?

The only thing I can think that I'd do is go and get every single favourite food of your boy and take it to the vet to see if you can coax him with any of them. When Ludo had stasis it took quite a bit of persuading and many pounds spent on greens, but in the end we managed to find somethng he'd nibble.

Sending lots of vibes xxx

Are they rabbit savvy vets? Are they syringe feeding him?

Sadly I can't say it will be OK as you just can't tell but if they are a good vets with good knowledge they will do all they can. Are they doing tests?

Just to update we have had to put my poor boy to sleep they don't know what was wrong but he didn't respond to any treatment Thank you for all you kind words though xxx

Thank you all I am heartbroken we buried him this afternoon the vet is baffled and thinks it could be something genetic but I decided not to have him tested was a hard enough day for us without making it worse xxx

Just to update we have had to put my poor boy to sleep they don't know what was wrong but he didn't respond to any treatment Thank you for all you kind words though xxx

Oh no, I am so very sorry. Really sounded to me like Floppy Rabbit Syndrome. Really wish this had been a better outcome for you. Binky free little one :wave:

Back