• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt help!

cacl2017

New Kit
Hi, I'm new here and have a bunny that recently came down with head tilt (March 5th). He's laying/ sitting sometimes and head is pretty tilted. he is rolling sometimes, but not constantly. He will be finishing 14 days of baytril tomorrow and has finished up his motion sickness medicine and still has a week of pain/ anti inflammatory medicine left. We are syringe or spoon feeding powdered pellets and supplementing with hay (when he can maneuver his mouth to it) and greens which he can't get enough of( still limited). He is urinating and pooping ( smaller than normal) and he is staying dry and relatively clean. He has one cecal stuck to his bottom that I'm/ he is slowly working off. I am afraid that he is uncomfortable or in pain. Or that he is miserable with the rolling. Dies the rolling help them feel balanced or make them feel worse. I have him in a padded clear plastic storage box with no lid now. I do have a slightly larger one but our first trial move made him seem more unsure if his new surroundings. Any help insights or advice is greatly appreciated.

2 weeks of treatment is not long as far as vestibular disease goes. Even if Encephalitozoon Cuniculi is the primary cause giving Fenbendazole (Panacur) aswell as the medication he is already on is unlikely to address the neurological symptoms as Fenbendazole does not penetrate the brain tissue. There may be a case to give it to reduce the number of 'latent' EC spores that may remain in the bloodstream though. EC can effect other organs too, so reducing the number of spores circulating could be a damage limitation exercise, but not a cure. I dont have time to post a long reply at the moment, but these links may provide you with some useful information

http://www.stfrancisanimalandbird.com/ResourcesLibrary/?page_id=240

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

My head tilt bunny was on Baytril for 6 weeks, Panacur for the standard 28 days course, and is still on Metacam. She became ill very suddenly in December and got a lot worse in week 2 / 3 before she started to recover. She almost looks normal now, although is a little thin and fragile still, and is back out in the run on sunny days as of last week. Her balance is pretty good now and the head tilt has almost gone.

You don't mention using Panacur (fenbendazole) for possible EC which can cause head tilt. You can get it without a prescription - it is normally used as a wormer. I got the 10% liquid dog one from a local horse feed place. There is also a version in a large syringe for rabbits, although I found this expensive and difficult to dose for a 1.5kg bunny as the graduations are for a 2.5kg bunny. All bunnies in contact with the head tilt one should really be treated at the same time to avoid cross-contamination of this common parasite.

I would ask your vet for a longer dose of Baytril and anti-inflammatory (eg Metacam), also dose with Panacur - and keep up the good work you are already doing with feeding, etc.

My bunny has just about recovered from EC and had severe head tilt. I found him 6 weeks ago in this state and it has been a long battle but he has almost come out of it.

He has been on Baytril, panacur and still is on the metacam.

Sending lots of vibes your way. Its a horrible thing to witness! The rolling is definitely distressing to watch... I would take it as a good sign that he is eating, drinking and pooing though. xxx

Back