• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt rabbits losing consciousness/ photo added p6 could be distressing

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone experienced this before please? I have not seen or heard of it before. None of the vets at our surgery have seen anything like it including our very experienced exotics vet :?

Any personal experience or any links to anything remotely relevant would be great x

Last edited:
Is it an atonic seizure ('Drop Seizure') as a result of EC ?

Thanks. I have just spoken to the vet again in more detail and yes we do think it was a type of seizure but not the type above. The one I saw must have lasted 20 minutes and he had one shortly before that. The vet believes he is now brain damaged as a result. He is having mini ones as soon as i touch him now. I have to touch him for his meds so we have no choice.

Its not looking good :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you

I he had another short seizure tonight followed by at least 30 minutes of constant rolling and flipping :cry: During the seizure he is completely rigid. This lasted around 20 minutes two times with in a couple of hours on sunday :(

P1050963.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly it turns out I was lied to and no vet passed him fit to travel. I can't tell you how angry I am and how heartbroken I am for Peter :(

:cry::cry::cry: Poor, poor Peter. Do you know if the seizures were there before the travelling or if they have come on since? (Sorry, you may have said previously but I've not seen it). I'm angry on your behalf that they put him through that extra when he's so unwell:evil:

:cry::cry::cry: Poor, poor Peter. Do you know if the seizures were there before the travelling or if they have come on since? (Sorry, you may have said previously but I've not seen it). I'm angry on your behalf that they put him through that extra when he's so unwell:evil:

As far as we know this hadn't happened before but who knows it certainly wasn't mentioned to us. I was definitely not told the truth about how much he was rolling and flipping. If I had known I would never had agreed to let him travel as I have been putting it off for months as i was so worried about how he would cope :(

As far as we know this hadn't happened before but who knows it certainly wasn't mentioned to us. I was definitely not told the truth about how much he was rolling and flipping. If I had known I would never had agreed to let him travel as I have been putting it off for months as i was so worried about how he would cope :(

:( I was trying to cling to some glimmer of hope that if it was the travel that had caused a severe exacerbation then *maybe* he stands a chance of improving. I just can't comprehend lying about something so important when that poor, fragile soul's welfare is at stake. I just hope you get chance to help him. It must be so distressing for you:cry::cry:

Kermit had one brief episode like this, but it was only the once that I seen.

My Kermit's rolling was VERY bad, for a good few weeks, but he was getting treatment from when it was 1st diagnosed. It is a shame that this wee one has not had the proper care. I know you have had a lot of head tilt bunnies, but I don't know how bad their rolling has been in the past.

Is he eating, drinking, pooing & peeing ok? I think that he must have fighting spirit in him if he has been like this for a while and is still here, that should give him some hope.

Is he on Stemetil or similar? Kermit had that, which was to help with his balance / dizziness.

Poor Peter :cry:
Is there any chance it's a flare up of his E.C. and time will put it right? :(
I've only seen one rabbit seize and it was for two minutes...but it seemed forever. That was Pip the day before Mimzy came down with head tilt. :(
I've never seen Mimzy have any lapse of consciousness like this. The poor baby. :cry:

Many many prayers being lifted up for your new little man. And his mate as well. xxxx

I have been told he has been on depocillin since January and has just finished a six week course of panacur. He is on stemtil and emeprid as well. And this is how he is after all that :(

He has been tilted I think for four years

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Blackberry who was EC related brain damaged from c10 weeks old (probably from birth) did a similar thing although not for as long as Peter - just short times when he was out of it - unfortunately it was towards the end of his time - it was when the brain damage and fits had gotten worse.

Is Peter managing to keep weight on?

The turning point with Blackberry was really when weight started to drop off and he was too disorientated to take in food.

Oh this is so awful, I'm so sorry, poor poor Peter :cry: sending millions of vibes for him. I can't believe someone let him travel like this :cry: I really hope you can help him :( xxx

Back