• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

recovery food alternative?

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
is there something special with recovery food from science selective when i reconstitute it with water and give to my bunny? or can i use my own pellets crushed and add water and syringe to bunny when she is not eating? just curious really. as want to keep rabbit guts moving really is the point.

I would think that as long as you are getting something in, then it doesn't make any difference, maybe the food she is used to is the best thing! Recovery food may have probiotics in it I am not sure.

Mushed up pellets are difficult to syringe - the fibres jam up the syringe. Recovery food is designed to be used in a syringe as it is a much finer grind.

Adding some veg based baby food helps to lubricate mushed pellets so it may not jam the syringe as much. Bunny may also eat off a teaspoon or from a saucer - you may not need the syringe. Slightly warm food may be more appealing than cold food.

Baby food can be syringe fed on its own eg Hipp organic carrot, mixed veg, banana and peach, mango and banana, red fruit and apple; any of the apple or pear ones.....

Back