• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chloe @ vets, having a demat

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
:wave:

Chloe is at the vets today for a demat. She gets this thick, cotton wool like fur which is extremely difficult to manage, especially as she doesn’t tolerate grooming (she’s a fighter). Unfortunately this procedure means her going under anesthetic but it also means she will feel much better and be able to clean herself more thoroughly. I am convinced she is actually part sheep. We bought Chloe (British Giant) off a farmer in 2012, she was 10 weeks old and had a dodgy eye which needed surgery. Soon after she developed ear mites and since then she has had several vet visits due to sore hocks, her dodgy fur and not to mention her serious aggression at times! She really is a one, but I am so so fond of her and so glad I picked her over her (much more normal looking) brothers.

Pre demat

Post demat

Does anyone have any tips on grooming?

She is fine being groomed with a soft brush but this just isn't good enough to get through her thick fur. When she is lying down and relaxed I am able to cut it shorter but obviously that doesn't get rid of the mats. She doesn't like the wire brushes even though I try and be ever so gentle while using them! I often end up getting bit and it's as stressful for me as it is for her.

I am aware putting her under anesthetic is risky and I really don't want to have to do it again.

Any advice would be great thanks.

PS. I've just heard from the vet that Chloe is currently in recovery :thumb:

Awww lovely fluffy bunny! Have you tried a pet comb that has one side with wide teeth and the other with closer teeth? I use this on my lionheads and it gets loads of loose hair out :wave:

Awww lovely fluffy bunny! Have you tried a pet comb that has one side with wide teeth and the other with closer teeth? I use this on my lionheads and it gets loads of loose hair out :wave:

:wave:

I will try the double sided comb :thumb:

I have also ordered some various other brushes today so hopefully they will help :)

She is gorgeous!! :love:

Mine won't tolerate the wire brushes either, do mostly I just stroke them with a slightly wet hand, and quickly work any tufts out when they let me! Otherwise the soft bristle type brushes like baby brushes have been the only thing that works for mine!

She is gorgeous!! :love:

Mine won't tolerate the wire brushes either, do mostly I just stroke them with a slightly wet hand, and quickly work any tufts out when they let me! Otherwise the soft bristle type brushes like baby brushes have been the only thing that works for mine!

These long haired buns are such hard work but aren't they worth it :love: I will try a wet hand, thanks! :thumb:

Caspers fur is very similar, very cotton wall like. I find a comb is much more effective at keeping it matt free.

Bring her to me, I'll sort her without the anaesthetic.

Rabbits just know it isn't worth arguing, I just get on with it.

She looks like Chervil without his fluffy ears. I shaved him on Sunday. He did a mad happy dance when I was finished. These poor hairies suffer from the pulling fur:(

Any Saturday would be fine.

Back