• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pets at home ethics.

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
Just ranting........I feel so gutted, went to PAH today for hay and treats and they had like 6 baby bunnies, absolutely beautiful little babes, the cutest little things and I just feel so angry with this shop for promoting unethical inhumane puppy farm style breeding....... are they CRAZY :evil: how can they say they care about animals? How can they allow this kind of breeding? The babies were so friendly, so eager for attention. And some might find good homes, but some might be stuck in a tiny hutch, with no care or thought for their welfare. And its this struggle of will, on the one hand you just want to take them home, on the other you would just be supporting the further pet shop breeding. Why do they sell them still? Why not just stop? Urgh..... A-holes!...... ran over...:(

All pet shops are the same. I'd like pet shops to no longer sell animals, but I don't think Pets at Home are any worse than any other pet shop.

All pet shops are the same. I'd like pet shops to no longer sell animals, but I don't think Pets at Home are any worse than any other pet shop.
ditto. I do understand the frustration but I'd actually say they're better than the vast majority of pet shops.
Even pet shops that don't sell animals usually sell housing that's too small and unhealthy treats, it all contributes to the large scale mistreatment of animals :(

Totally agree, it's so sad! I have taken on a bunny today his only three months old bought from a pet shop then decided they did didn't want him :-( if the supply was stopped and it was so easy for people to impulse buy!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I often wonder how the sales staff feels if they have to sell a pet to an obvious idiot :( I wonder if they do have to or if they are allowed to refuse. Does anyone know? It must be such a relief when a clearly knowlegable and caring person buys one.

ditto. I do understand the frustration but I'd actually say they're better than the vast majority of pet shops.
Even pet shops that don't sell animals usually sell housing that's too small and unhealthy treats, it all contributes to the large scale mistreatment of animals :(

I agree, out of the ones I can get to I'd rather use P@H if I have to. They're not good but so much better than the others :(

I often wonder how the sales staff feels if they have to sell a pet to an obvious idiot :( I wonder if they do have to or if they are allowed to refuse. Does anyone know? It must be such a relief when a clearly knowlegable and caring person buys one.

I have heard them going through a list of questions and guidelines with new owners, which never used to happen. And how often does that happen in a small pet shop?

I have seen staff in my local pets at home refuse to sell to rabbits. Also overheard two talking about someone who wanted a pair of rabbits but had had a pair six months earlier. They wanted to know where the orginal pair was and were she planed to house the new ones.

I was rather impressed with a pet shop near me. a couple wanted a budgie. staff member came out with a questionaire for them on what cage they had,what the size and bar spacing was, what company he would have, what food, what toys etc- couple got ratty and said 'its only a bloody budgie!' at which point they were told they couldn't have one!
I don't think that store sells many birds - people come and enjoy seeing them and they look happy and well cared for but you have to be right person to be allowed to buy one-and thats how it should be.

I was rather impressed with a pet shop near me. a couple wanted a budgie. staff member came out with a questionaire for them on what cage they had,what the size and bar spacing was, what company he would have, what food, what toys etc- couple got ratty and said 'its only a bloody budgie!' at which point they were told they couldn't have one!
I don't think that store sells many birds - people come and enjoy seeing them and they look happy and well cared for but you have to be right person to be allowed to buy one-and thats how it should be.

Awesome! :thumb:

Back