• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits remember?

supersonic

Mama Doe
So I can back from uni on Friday night, after not being home since the 5th January. I am convinced that Sonic remembers me but mum doesn't think rabbits remember that long! We've had him since August 2009, so do you reckon I'm imbedded in his head enough for him to remember me forever?

He did his usual cheeky run away before he would let me get him back in, then snuggled up when I picked him up. And he licked my face :roll::lol:

I'm not sure, I would have like to think so. I am also heading home from Uni at the end of March and will be picking up the buns on the way home, they are being looked after by another RU member for me. I haven't seen them since September so I hope they remember me!

Yes, I think they would remember for that period of time.

Annabella doesn't go to the vets for 3 months or so at a time, and she definitely remembers what the carrier is for! :lol:

I think it really varies, depending on individual intelligence etc.

I've really noticed that with piggies too. I remember after I'd been on holiday once and had 3 piggies, the cleverest piggy ran forward at the sound of my voice, another looked a bit unsure, and the other ran and hid! :D

yep. Smudge remembers that every time I go into the shed. he used to get his medicine and he hated me for it.. he never comes into the shed if I'm in..

Mine always look really surprised when I return from a holiday as if their is some recognition there. I definitely think they would know your smell or voice.

Yes, I think they would remember for that period of time.

Annabella doesn't go to the vets for 3 months or so at a time, and she definitely remembers what the carrier is for! :lol:

:lol:

I've always thought he was quite an intelligent rabbit, there's just something different about him. I reckon he does...

Yes. Straws does an annual visit to my parents when we go on holiday and the first thing he does every year is run to the back corner of the garden to see if the hole in the fence is there that he escaped through about 5 years ago!

Yes, when I had a flat with my ex Poppy loved to sit under the futon in the lounge, when we split Pop and I moved out. After a long time (several months) Poppy went to stay with him, I opened the carrier when I dropped her off, she ran straight out, up the hall, 3 stairs, into the lounge and under the futon, no hesitation whatsoever.

I was shocked, but there is no doubt that she knew exactly where she was, she had only lived there a few months.

Yes. Straws does an annual visit to my parents when we go on holiday and the first thing he does every year is run to the back corner of the garden to see if the hole in the fence is there that he escaped through about 5 years ago!

That's hilarious, cheeky bun :lol:

So after cleaning him out today, I can pretty much guarantee he remembers me! He has free range of ours and next doors gardens, and whilst I was walking to the top of the garden to get the (dreaded!) nail clippers he ran up to me and ran by my feet. When I knelt down he nudged my hand for strokes and put his front paws on my knees. He wouldn't do this to anyone else!

The nail clipping was less stressful than I thought, my dad usually helps but I thought I'm old enough to be responsible for clipping my own bunnies nails. He hates having his feet touched though :roll:

I've often wondered this. Spenser was living on a farm in his own crate but in a barn with other rabbits. I wonder if he remembers them.

I don't know. I got Slipper in December 2011 but after I split with my ex in July 2012, I didn't see him for a year as I was in a teeny tiny flat and had no room for him. Then I moved into this house and got Slipper back in July 2013. I thought he'd remember me, but he seemed unsettled and didn't eat his dinner that evening which is most unlike Slipper! So maybe he didn't :( I'd missed him and hoped he'd remembered me, but evidentally not :(

I don't know. I got Slipper in December 2011 but after I split with my ex in July 2012, I didn't see him for a year as I was in a teeny tiny flat and had no room for him. Then I moved into this house and got Slipper back in July 2013. I thought he'd remember me, but he seemed unsettled and didn't eat his dinner that evening which is most unlike Slipper! So maybe he didn't :( I'd missed him and hoped he'd remembered me, but evidentally not :(

It could just have been stress from moving.

They definitely remember, but I couldn't say for how long.
I remember the first time we took T&F to board with Tuckerbunnies - they were very hesitant - walking/head-bobbing while they explored everywhere.
Every time since they've known exactly where they are. I assume they'd forget after a certain length of time, but no idea how long that would be.

Little can't remember anything otherwise she'd be able to learn things.
e.g.
if you charge at Mummy's feet in the dark you will get stepped on
if you do a scoobydoo run on the polished desk you will fall off it
if you stick your head under Teddy's bum, he will bite you
if you steal things and run off with them, especially pekking duck pancakes or mini doughnuts, people will chase you and therefore scare you

Oh tell a lie, she remembers where the food cupboard is.

I'm afraid to say that much as we like to believe buns are our chums I think we just have to take them as they are (i.e stupid and mad & fat and lazy, in my case :lol::lol:)

Actually, as a PS though I think they must have an innate 'memory' of their ancestors because I don't know about you but if I approach the buns after having stroked a dog they go loopy.

Also, Little must like the smell of the vets surgeries because no matter which vet we go to she decides it's play time in bun land. Last time she was so excited she toppled into the vet's bin (I assume accidentally but you never know).

I think Sonic remembers... he also remembers the camera, and continues to turn away when I try take a picture :roll:

Back