• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are you legally allowed to 'rabbitknap'?

TD86

Alpha Buck
My neighbor treats her rabbits as 'just a rabbit' rabbits. Can I legally nab them? I'd obviously have to find somewhere to put them without them realizing it was me but they're stuck in their hutches all day and only let out on nice days, like today. One of them is a giant and has been put in a run the size of my small coffee table :(:(

Awwww, that poor giant... It's awful to have to see bunnies in that position :)censored:) but like TheBee says, can you educate them? Are you on speaking terms/can you start a bunny convo over the fence? I was wondering if the RSPCA could get involved maybe?

Poor bunnies. :(

(Leaflets anonymously through the door? ;) )

No but if they're not that bothered about them have you tried asking if they'd consider rehoming? You could maybe say 'hi I've noticed you don't really seem to put the rabbits out anymore, someone I know has just lost their rabbit and they're looking for some more would you be interested' and then decide what to do with them from there? If no then I'm afraid there's not much you can do, maybe give them some information but they probably wont listen to it :( RSPCA wont do a thing unless they have no food/water

I've tried educating them, the conversation started today with my additional run that we put up this morning (there are now 3 plus 6ft ramp and double hutch) I can't say too much on here as you never know who's reading but I just feel the time has come to rabbitknap. I'm sure I could manage to have house rabbits for a time before smuggling them somewhere nice or just keeping them! You can add me on FB or I will PM you the full story but I'm at a loss with these people!!!

I've tried educating them, the conversation started today with my additional run that we put up this morning (there are now 3 plus 6ft ramp and double hutch) I can't say too much on here as you never know who's reading but I just feel the time has come to rabbitknap. I'm sure I could manage to have house rabbits for a time before smuggling them somewhere nice or just keeping them! You can add me on FB or I will PM you the full story but I'm at a loss with these people!!!

Don't get yourself into trouble with the police. You won't help the bunnies that way either.

I know it's really hard. :( I just feel that you'll play right into their hands if you try to take them, since you will be the one legally in the wrong.

It doesn't matter how they are being treated, it would still be theft. You could go to prison for it.

It is sad, but the most you can do is try to help them see what their rabbits need, or at the most persuade them to rehome them to you.

I know you only want to help, but that's illegal... it's theft and the only person that will be in trouble is you. :(

I appreciate the feedback, I did suspect it would be illegal. It's not the kind of 'hand them over' case you'd expect, their last rabbit was eaten by a fox and they have bought another one as a replacement :roll: They think they love them because they're buying them for the daughter who is nearly a teenager and soon, they'll be lucky if they get any attention at all.

Back