• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The power of RU!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I'm sure threads like this have been done before (I think I might have started one before :oops:) but I thought it would be nice to share what brought u to RU and where u r now (with rabbits :lol:)...

I first found RU when I was trying to figure out the best hutch/run combo for Summer and Skye as their hutch needed replacing and I wanted them to have permanent run access as my working hours changed, and they had an open enclosure at the time which they could only be in when I was around to supervise...
Fast forward almost 2 years, I now have Heidi and Dash too, a big shed and 4 bonded bunnies :lol:

I found RU whilst googling female rabbits humping :shock: I had previously only had single rabbits, but had read they were best with a friend, and as there were only singles at the local rspca who wouldn't bond I bought from a breeder :cry: I am so ashamed looking back that I did that, as BARC who are very close are bursting at the seams with bunnies but I didn't know about them at the time. I vowed I would never buy from a breeder again, rescue all the way for me :thumb: They were in a 5ft double hutch with separate run, with what I learnt on RU I attached the run with a runaround kit. Fast forward a few months and I decided to get another pair from a rescue, and got Dandy and Beano :love: fast forward a few months and I bonded them all and they now live in a 6x4 shed and attached 17ftx10ft aviary style run :thumb:

I found RU before I got Buttons and Nibbles, well, I knew I was getting them and therefore I was researching what stuff to get. They had indoor cages to start with an a 4x4 double outside, we later made a run to go with it. Now they have a shed and we have Jasper too :thumb:

I found RU after I had impulse bought babies Snowflake and Frosty from our local pet shop. They were free range in my bedroom with a dog crate (always open).

I then saw two rabbits on a preloved rescue site (Mottle and Peaches) - turned the lady was a breeder of mini lops who rescued a few every now and again.

Two more rabbits on here RIN (Tessie and Daisy), barc bunnies and sooooo pretty.

and ... two more rabbits when I was doing an internet search for 'belgian hares in rescue' that came up on the cottontails website.

They are now in a shed/aivary (Frosty, Snowflake, Tessie and Daisy) and in hutch/aivary set ups (Mottle and Peaches in one Autumn and Sunshine in the other).

I also have two rescue guinea pigs (thanks to the local rescue who home checked for barc) and a hamster (Harvest) who was in RIN on here!

RU has increased my family massively and given me so much excellent advice.

I found RU last summer probably whilst doing a search for something like "why does my rabbit hate me?" Ie Slipper! I found out she needed a friend & I also wanted a friendly rabbit like Dexter so I started looking around & got Badger & Blueberry. Then I realised the situation with rescues & now have Blackavar & Rosie with Albert to join us later. I'm trying to go cruelty free & would only rescue pets in future.

Oh and I've also made some great friends on here & met two in real life which has finally given me the confidence to start pole dancing :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colleague had a rabbit and knew r u so three of us used to spend department meetings looking at rabbit rehome going 'awww!'

then Charlie rabbit had a sore eye and i needed advice. i came here and never left.

I had house bunnies but had had to relocate due to hubbys work and was heavily pregnant. The new house only had space for their 100cm double storey indoor cage and no pen. Once the baby was here i got very stressed about freerange time (i didnt want hay and hair anywhere near the baby and they kept going for his toys), then as my son got older and started making more louder noises the bunnies seemed to be more and more upset by it (they hadnt been bothered by gurgles and newborn crying) and as soon as he could crawl my son kept sticking his fingers through the bars and quickly learnt how to open the cage! He also kept trying to eat their pellets!

By this point id had enough! They are technically hubby's buns and he didnt want to turn them into outdoor rabbits, so i told him they were either rehomed or went outside (as soon as the weather was warm enough) because i couldnt cope with it and it wasnt fair on the bunnies. At first he said we could rehome them, as he thought having always been inside they wouldnt be happy out. There was a lovely woman who worked with my mom who was going to have them but on the day they were supposed to go he said he couldnt do it and he'd turn them into outdoor buns.

So que me searching for a good hutch - googled it and this site kept coming up - found out bunnies needed a minimum of 6x2 hutch and 8x4 run (44sq ft), joined to ask peoples opinions on rydale and welfare hutches (the two best hutches that seemed to come up a lot). Then stuck around.

The buns are now in a 6x2 double with runaround attachment to a 6x6.5 run (over 63sq ft). They are also very happy outside. Sirius unfortunately passed away just over a month a go and we got burt from a rescue (didnt even realise rescues had rabbits before RU!!!). Any future buns will be rescue buns - not only is it more ethical its sooo much simpler and cheaper too - its a win win situation.

Last edited:
I found RU when my boyfriend got me Moley from a local breeder (nice chap).

He is a giant rabbit and although I have had lots of rabbits in the past I didn't realise I knew so little!! Plus I knew nothing about giants and didn't realise how giant and destructive he would be. (sounds daft i know:oops:)

So we moved house and I discovered that what he needed was a companion, due to being on this site we said we wouldn't use a breeder or pet shop.. We found a woman giving away a female bun in freecycle and so Poppy arrived. My boyfriend and I then embarked on bonding Moley and Pop and I couldn't have done it without the brilliant advise and support from RU. Now Moles and Pop are in love and live in a 8x4 shed with an 8x6 run.

In addition we got Py in Oct from pets at home adoption (he isn't old stock but an unwanted pet) I don't know why as he is a complete sweety :) and he has given me an undiscovered respect for the Dutchie :love:.

So thank you RU :thumb:

When I found RU I had a baby Finx as a single house rabbit in a too small cage whenever I was out. She was part of an accidental litter when my little sister bought '2 girls' from a garden centre.

Now Finx is nearly 4 and lives with rescue buns Tango and Pepper in a playhouse attached to a homemade double storey run. The new runaround kit is ready and waiting to connect the whole thing to Pepper's original 6ft hutch, can't wait to start!

Without RU, Finx would probably still be a single house bunny :)

Aw it's lovely to read all these stories :love: I feel like I've been hearing a lot of bad stories lately, it's nice to hear about all the success stories, rabbits saved and lives improved (rabbit and human lives I'm sure :thumb:)

I had somehow stumbled accross C&C cages on the internet and all things guinea pig when I had my two guineas Momo and McMac. I soon discovered RU's sister site The Guinea Pig Forum and loved learning about how to properly care for piggies.
During that time my mum purchased Rosie for my nephew (who was barely about 2 at the time) and it came down to me to be the one to look after her and care for her. She was in a hutch that was about a foot high, 2-3 foot wide and less then a foot deep. I had only had one rabbit before (thumper, netherland dwarf) and unfortunately I knew next to nothing about rabbits and proper care :(
Soon after this Momo, one of my guinea pigs developed a cancerous growth in his throat and after so much effort from the vets and tests he was deteriorating so much due to not being able to eat being PTS was the only option. I was heartbroken and so upset after seeing him go from perfectly fine and happy pig to a very poorly pig in just a few days. I vowed that I would try my upmost for my remaining guinea pig (McMac) and Rosie after that.

So I took it upon myself to find out about proper rabbit care so she could have a full and happy life with me. I was pointed in RU's direction, joined up and as they say the rest is history.

Back