• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not Eating and Covered in Wee

Cari

Warren Veteran
As title.

What's wrong with my baby? He was fine at 2am and now he's like this. He's shy, didn't run to greet me, hasn't eaten pellets or carrot or apple. Have pinned him down and fed him baby food and pineapple juice.

Have put pineapple juice in his water and OH is going to offer him food and syringe feed him every 2 hours until I get home from work. What's wrong with him? If he's not eaten by 10am I'm ringing for a vet appointment.

please dont syringe feed anything but water unless you are certain he does not have an obstruction

sudden onset of abdominal pain (if that is what is going on) is indicative of an 'acute abdomen' ie an full obstruction.

pineapple juice could make matters a lot worse- too much sugar which can lead to the rapid proliferation of 'bad' gut bacteria

the very best thing to do is to get him to a vet asap

make sure he does not feel cold to the touch, hypothermia + shock can occur rapidly with acute onset abdominal pain

so provide a heat source for him and as previously stated, get him to a vet

Thanks Jane, will replace the water with fresh and take the pineapple juice away. He wouldn't eat anything so even when I tried to feed him he only had 0.5ml. Will tell OH not to syringe feed. He had cold ears, but the window was open last night so don't know if that's why or if he's hypothermic.

I'm so sorry, I didn't want to make him worse, I just thought pineapple was good for upset tummies and that trying him to encourage to eat something was better than nothing to maybe get his guts going again if that's what it was. I wasn't sure, don't know what's wrong.

I'm at work, feel so helpless. I need him to be ok.

edit: I listened to his stomach with my stethoscope and there were gut sounds present at 06:45.

He has now eaten three sticks of carrot but I am still confused as to why he has a wet bottom and is behaving so strangely. :(

He needs to see a vet, Cari. There is nothing you or we can do without a diagnosis. If the gut has stopped, even oral metacam won't work properly.

I've heard that companion care vets are open on a sunday morning. All out of hours vets will be too. Your partner needs to take him.

My guess is that the behaviour is due to the pain he is in.

I hope he's okay, make sure to give us an update.

Last edited:
He's absolutely fine. Don't know what happened this morning but by the time I made it home he was eating normally and he was hopping about like a happy chappy. :? He's going tomorrow for a check up as I decided it wasn't an acute emergency any more as he appeared fine when I got back. Odd.

Back