• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Devastated. Have to separate Barney & Molly :( U/D 27 March can't stop crying

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Barney has lost half his fur :cry: i was downstairs and heard a big commotion upstairs; so rushed up. It looked like a fox had just killed a chicken, Barney's fur was everywhere. Then he must have turned on her and was chasing her round the room trying to do the same to her :cry:
I think Molly just has psychological issues; we have tried EVERYTHING to make her happy this past year. Nothing works. The vet has found nothing wrong with her physically. Her EC test came back yesterday and showed she's never been infected with it. She's just being so nasty to Barney and he's so lovely. He just wants to love and be loved. My OH wants me to take Molly back to the sanctuary. I might have to. I don't see an alternative.

She has drawn blood too when she bit him :cry: i gently checked him, i can see blood in 2 places. Should i put anything on it? He is already on metacam.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness how awful for you.

Sorry, I haven't a clue about how you should 'treat' poor Barney, but just wanted to say how sorry I was for you and your buns.

Don't know how to advise, health issues aside, they'd been getting on hadn't they?

Might Barney get on with Ollie? Or don't you want to risk it?

Vibes for you and buns, wonder what made her turn on him.

Thanks for replying, i feel really alone right now :( yes they had been getting on most of the time, but Molly has always had her moments. She just seems damaged, somehow. But she wasn't happy alone, and she isn't happy with Barney. I don't think there's anything else i can do. Yes, Barney and Olly is definitely a possibility; or even a trio with Daisy and Digby. Barney has done nothing wrong. :(

Oh my goodness how awful for you.

Sorry, I haven't a clue about how you should 'treat' poor Barney, but just wanted to say how sorry I was for you and your buns.

Don't know how to advise, health issues aside, they'd been getting on hadn't they?

Might Barney get on with Ollie? Or don't you want to risk it?

Vibes for you and buns, wonder what made her turn on him.

I'm so sorry. Poor Barney. :(
Looking at it impartially, if you do take Molly back to the sanctuary (and nobody could ever say you haven't given this your very best shot), they might have a bunny there that she would get on with and be happy.

Hi Jo :wave:

Have literally just stumbled on your thread. Don't make any rash decisions, I will pm you this morning. Don't get too upset just yet, there's a solution to everything :)

I'm so sorry :cry: hope you can find a solution that works for you and the buns :thumb:

Sorry you are having more trouble. Maybe going back to square 1 bonding might help. Their bond has perhaps been disrupted by the time spent away.

Sorry I had to rush off, someone at the door wanting to say goodbye to Elinore. Hope you find a solution xxx

Blood usually means a vet check because bunny wounds can get infected very easily so he may need some antibiotics.

My Snowdrop was bonded to Strawberry for 6 months with no problems. He bullied and chased but neither were aggressive. Then one day she flipped. Went mental and full on attacked him. We tried a rebound but as soon as he went near her she would attack. She went to the rescue to try and be bonded with Mr B who is the softest bunny ever but again she wouldn't stop trying to kill him!

Some bunnies just want to be alone!

perhaps Molly still has some uterine/ovarian tissue remaining as a result of an incomplete spay ?

a hormone profile might elicit some information, but i fully understand if you are at your very limit re trying to resolve her issues

it's not as though you would be giving up without trying, no-one could accuse you of that

sometimes two rabbits will never truly bond and if it is making one or both of them ill and/or if injuries are occurring then separation can be the right thing to do for both of their welfare

What a stressful situation! Poor Barney too!

I think you need to think about yourself and what's right for you! This sounds like its having the worst effect on you!! :(

You have done your very best and no one could accuse you other wise but if no one is happy then separating them could be the best thing. Molly might just be fussy and will find a lovely new friend back at the rescue.
(We tried to bond Ig years ago with a bunny who bit him and made him unwell and returned her after a week or so and found Betty. I have since seen via the rescue facebook page she moved in with a family and has a garden to play in and has so much more than i could offer her as a house rabbit).

I hope things work out for you xx

I wish I had some advice to offer, you've been through so much with them. :(

Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and sending (((vibes))) that a solution can be found soon.xx

Thanks everyone. I didn't sleep all night for worrying :( i have split their room in half, they are not very happy. Normally they get to run round upstairs, but now they will have to take turns. Molly is quite unsettled. Barney not too bad considering. I know Molly doesn't mean to be like this,but i don't think there is anything else i can do for her. I got her to bond with Olly. It didn't work, but rather than take her back, i gave her the whole of upstairs. She was depressed on her own. So after much debate we adopted Barney for her; a very stressful bond with lots of wounds :( eventually they did seem to settle together, but Molly still stressed him out with her psychotic digging and territory issues. To say i am struggling with this is a huge understatement. Those who've followed this from the start will know. I am going to make myself very ill soon, it's bound to happen.

:( I'm sorry this sounds so stressful. I tried to bond Tully with a 'problem' rabbit towards the back end of last year. She'd been tried several times before with different bunnies, but it started off much better with Tully and it was last chance saloon for her. She just didn't seem to relate to other bunnies in a normal way - there were odd things in her behaviour. After a couple of weeks, she bit Tully and I had to give up at that point - it wasn't fair on him.

Tully went to the vet, and had a small abscess starting to form. Thankfully it cleared up pretty easily though.

The other rabbit went back to the rescue. She was fostered out to live as a single house rabbit, and her fosterers have recently decided to keep her. Tulyl has a new partner and they couldn't be more loved up. So - happy endings all around.

I felt terrible giving up on the other rabbit as I desperately wanted her to find a home and a bunny friend, but it just wasn't meant to be.

sorry to hear this, :( i know it has been constant stress for you since the start. i hope you can figure something out, :( x

Barney is really sad :cry: he looks lost without Molly :cry: she doesn't seem bothered in the slightest. I just want to cry all the time. I don't know what to do. I have to admit, if Molly had come from any of the rescues on here, I would take her back. I've done everything I can. But I am really really struggling with the thought of taking her back to somewhere she'll be terrified and kept in a small hutch again :( it would torture me forever. I wish someone would tell me what to do. I would like Barney to bond with Daisy and Digby, then Daisy won't be lonely when Digby goes (he's getting old now :cry:) but if it didn't work it would be a disaster. And I don't know if I dare try him with Olly. That's what OH wants me to do. Just can't stand seeing him sad :cry:

I'm sorry to hear this, how stressful :( Do you have to take Molly back to the rescue? Like, have you got into an agreement thing? If not could you rehome her via the forum?

Hugs x

I can't offer any advice.

I just wanted to say how sorry iam :cry: I can imagine how stressful this is for you.......I really hope there's a solution around the corner :wave:

Back