• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nobivac and Cunivak

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I saw this post on a German bunny page on facebook:

The production of VHD vaccinations requires that rabbits are infected and then killed; the vaccine is then extracted from the dead rabbit's liver.
There now exist vaccines which are produced synthetically and do not cause suffering or death to any rabbit.
Please make more people aware.

It goes on to detail that Nobivac is synthetic and also more reliable and safe for use in rabbits whereas cunivak is organic, not ethical and there are more instances of it causing health problems.

I don't know if Cunivak was ever used in the UK r if any of this is true or has been brought up on RU but I thought I would spread the word just in case.

Yes the previous single VHD vaccines were made this way :( there was a thread about it a long time ago discussing the ethics of using the vaccine when rabbits have been killed to create it. I don't remember the figures but it was something like one rabbit resulted in 30,000 vaccines. The new nobivac myxo-rhd combined vaccine is manufactured so the VHD part has not been made using that method :D

Back