• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So maybe rabbits aren't for me...

warlepus

Young Bun
Pretty strange title for a thread since this is a rabbit forum after all.

Over the years, I've gotten acquainted and worked with all sorts of animals - cats, dogs, the fish in my siggy to name a few.
At this point in my life together with Mathias, we have reached an impasse of sorts. I love the little guy but I don't thoroughly enjoy his company. I enjoy working with my animals but training them is the part I love best.

(Yep, to those asking, the fish are trainable and they do flare/jump on cue and even swim in certain patterns.)

As of tomorrow, Mathias will be re-homed with a good friend of mine. I do love the boy and since my friend is new to rabbits, I'm more than happy to assist her with his upkeep - and definitely the bunny-proofing part.

Well, not necessarily the nicest of rabbit stories but I guess part of responsible pet ownership is seeing to it that you find the best home for your pet if you can't give them that anymore.

For my part though, I do love rabbits and I'd love to help the ones at the shelters. I don't see myself owning a rabbit in the future anymore but I do adore them and would love to keep being involved in their care. For the time being, I can only talk to a few people I happen by at pet stores looking to purchase rabbits and tell them more about how caring for their potential new pet is going to play out. Hopefully, it helps even a bit.

It sounds like you made the right decision for you, and it also sounds like little Mathias will be in good hands. I'm currently re-homing one of my bunnies (her bond with her partner broke down and I can't get her a new husbun, it's fairer for her if she is rehomed) and I'm finding it really difficult so I sympathise. Hopefully Mathias will settle in and be very happy in his new home :)

It's also good to hear you'll keep trying to educate people, I'm sure that'll help at least a few bunnies!

Last edited:
Rabbits are trainable. You can teach them jump. Some people even take them jumping shows, like horses. My rabbit's know their names, and they know lots of other words.

Animals aren't here to entertain us.

Poor Mathias. :cry:

@ JemimaH: I somehow wondered if anyone here actually had too many rabbits to take care of.

@ Vegan_Bunny: It's not for entertainment when I train but basically to me that's how I bond with my pets. I'm not sure how else to describe it but if feels like we're not bonding as closely.

Rabbits are trainable. You can teach them jump. Some people even take them jumping shows, like horses. My rabbit's know their names, and they know lots of other words.

Animals aren't here to entertain us.

Poor Mathias. :cry:

I think that's a bit harsh. Mathias has got a new home where he'll be loved and his company enjoyed more. That is better than keeping him just because you feel you ought to.

OP has done the right thing, found a new home and offered assistance with the upkeep.

Yes, OP has made a mistake, but they've done the best thing in that situation. Much better than what we know happens to so many bunnies, i.e. being dumped in the wild, abandoned in bags or dumped at a rescue after 6 months of living in a hutch not being cleaned out!

@ JemimaH: I somehow wondered if anyone here actually had too many rabbits to take care of.

@ Vegan_Bunny: It's not for entertainment when I train but basically to me that's how I bond with my pets. I'm not sure how else to describe it but if feels like we're not bonding as closely.

No, I don't think so. I think we're all sensible enough to know when enough is enough, or when we can't cope anymore :) Like with me - it's not that I can't take care of Rose, it's that I have to do what is best for her. It's not like she can tell me what she wants, its up to me to make those decisions for her. I'd love to keep her, but I can't get her another husbun so I'd much rather she went to a new home, even though it is sad for me, than stay here and be lonely. She'd make a great housebun, but I don't have anywhere to keep her, sadly. If the rescue fails to bond her with another bunny, and concludes she's better on her own (she's always hated bun company but 'tolerated' Alfie for a couple of years) then I'll have her back and keep her as a housebun (I'll make space for her!) but I'd much rather she got the chance to live with another bun or two, and she won't get that here.

you're doing what you feel is best :) I rehomed my hamster last year, I had been given a stray that someone had found and this lady was interested in her but she'd been snapped up, after talking to her I realised she could give my hamster more than I could. I'm not a hamster person, I gave her everything she needed a big cage, plenty of toys and food, kept her safe and happy but there was no bond between us and to be honest I was scared of being bitten by her. Her new home actually takes her with them on holiday! She has a dedicated room for her hamsters which is fully hamster proofed for play times etc.

I won't have any more hamsters but it wasn't an easy choice to rehome an animal, you think that only irresponsible people, or people who don't care do it but I believe I made the best choice for her and you are doing the same :)

I think you've done the right thing.:) I'm an all sorts of animals person, I like them all for different reasons, so I can't say that I understand but I see nothing wrong with it. A lot of people on this forum get sad or mad when someone rehomes their pets but I don't understand that. As long as they've found good homes that's all that matters surely.

Aww sorry to hear that you are having to rehome him, but happy that you know where hes going and are happy to help :)
i think its great as well that you can continue giving advice and help with bunny proofing etc.

even though you wont have any bunnis you can always stick around :)
and maybe your friend would want to join?
:lol:
i wanted to see more cute pics of the wee man :p
all he best xxx

@ Hesperus: Thanks. Mathias' adoption was more of a conditional adoption - he'll only get rehomed if the person I'm giving him to is willing to adhere to the acceptable level of care for rabbits. We're not bonding but I definitely had enough supplies and equipment to house him comfortably until I found an acceptable owner.

While not likely, I am still prepared to take him back if my friend does end up getting overwhelmed.

@ JemimaH: Oh, I see. So it's more of looking for a better home then. Happy to hear that. I'm too used around dogs, I was thinking more of show bunnies getting retired and needing new homes. The previous bunny, Levi, ended up being kept as a housebun. Well, he didn't have bunny company, but he did enjoy being with me and my dog. He was always at the door and he'd copy what my dog does - guard my door and try to block people who will come in.

@ Georgeypudding: Oh hamsters are great. I've had several. I just called off on keeping them. Their lifespans are too short for me. I do have to agree some of them are quite nippy. The first one I got made my hands a band-aid advert. :?

@ William: Hm, I think it's because when we get pets it would be nice if we were the ones who provided the very best homes for them. I have no issues with pet re-homing though. Basically, if two homes are able to care for the pet, the better home would be the one that wants the pet more.

@ natsusakura: Hey there! :wave: Thanks for posting. Yeah, I'll be recommending this forum to people I know.

Just wanted to update:

My friend came over yesterday. She loved Mathias. Just as an extra precaution, I asked her to bring some of Mathias' things with her. See if anyone in her household gets an allergic reaction before I send him off.

Back