• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My buns are being neutered. Recovery question.

So my does are both booked in to be spayed next week. I have an indoor rabbit cage for one and a dog crate for the other. What is best to use to line the floors with? Any tips on how to prevent infection in their wounds? And how long should I keep them indoors for?

Thanks.

Leigh.

As Carrie said I used newspaper to line the floor, and litter tray, put hay in a hay rack, I offered them lots of different things that were their favourite foods, dandelion leaves, hand picked grass, herbs, (their favourite is rosemary) readigrass and their pellets. My 2 went off their hay a bit for a couple of days after but I think it's more common for them to go off pellets, but maybe mine are just different :roll:

Whilst at the vet I asked for them to have an appetite stimulant (metoclopramide) and also subcutaneous fluids in case they weren't drinking much after. They had painkiller at the vet but it's very important to ensure the vet gives you some oral pain relief to take home to give (metacam) sadly some vets don't give it out routinely :cry:

For preventing infection I would make sure their area is kept as clean and dry as possible, keep changing the newspaper regularly (I raided the paper bank at the supermarket so I had a big pile :lol:)
And ensure that hay etc isn't loose so it can't stick to the wound.

My 2 aren't very keen on being handled and they won't want messing about with after the spay, I used to hold a treat up to make them reach up for it so I could check their wounds without handling.

I think mine were inside for about a week or so if I can recall.

I hope the spay goes smoothly for them :thumb:

I used vet bed, newspapers on the floor and cut their hay up small and kept it in a bowl.

Thank you. What is vet bed? Will keep their hay in their tubs and use newspaper too (though how long that lasts with Jessie I don't know as she rips it up everytime I line her hutch and litter tray lol). X

As Carrie said I used newspaper to line the floor, and litter tray, put hay in a hay rack, I offered them lots of different things that were their favourite foods, dandelion leaves, hand picked grass, herbs, (their favourite is rosemary) readigrass and their pellets. My 2 went off their hay a bit for a couple of days after but I think it's more common for them to go off pellets, but maybe mine are just different :roll:

Whilst at the vet I asked for them to have an appetite stimulant (metoclopramide) and also subcutaneous fluids in case they weren't drinking much after. They had painkiller at the vet but it's very important to ensure the vet gives you some oral pain relief to take home to give (metacam) sadly some vets don't give it out routinely :cry:

For preventing infection I would make sure their area is kept as clean and dry as possible, keep changing the newspaper regularly (I raided the paper bank at the supermarket so I had a big pile :lol:)
And ensure that hay etc isn't loose so it can't stick to the wound.

My 2 aren't very keen on being handled and they won't want messing about with after the spay, I used to hold a treat up to make them reach up for it so I could check their wounds without handling.

I think mine were inside for about a week or so if I can recall.

I hope the spay goes smoothly for them :thumb:

Thank you for your reply it has helped a lot. Will certainly mention painkillers to the vet and ensure that they have some for when the come home.

I'll keep them indoors for a week then and see how they go. What should I do regarding excessive? My house isn't bunny proofed I may be able to give them access to the kitchen in an evening when children are in bed and find a way to border off my open plan dining room. X

My girls live outdoors but when they were spayed I brought them indoors for a full 2 weeks on vet's advice, mainly to stop the necessity of going up the ladder in the hutch until their wounds were really well healed.

I had them in a dog crate, together. I wouldn't advise splitting them up if they normally snuggle up to each other as that will stress them out even more, not being able to touch each other. I had a padded puppy blanket thing which came with the cage and put newspaper underneath. I also put cut up bin bags on the floor outside the cage covered in newspaper, which also kinda went under the cage a bit as when they did a wee they got it through the bars and onto the floor.

Their hay was in a hay rack and they had water in a bottle though for the first day I'd take the bottle down and physically hold it for them to drink from, which they seemed to appreciate. I couldn't put a bowl out for them as there wasn't enough room.

They were kept in the cage for the first 48 hours and weren't allowed out of it at all. They were then allowed out for 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day for 2 days, which increased quite rapidly to half an hour. Our floor is laminated which they didn't like so I put an old dust sheet down (not normal cotton, but more like brushed cotton) which gave them confidence so they wouldn't slip. I was advised to restrict their movements so they couldn't stretch/jump/climb up on anything for the 2 weeks and neither of them had any problems whatsoever.

Loved having them in the house but the downside was that they took over the utility room and they stunk! :lol:

My girls live outdoors but when they were spayed I brought them indoors for a full 2 weeks on vet's advice, mainly to stop the necessity of going up the ladder in the hutch until their wounds were really well healed.

I had them in a dog crate, together. I wouldn't advise splitting them up if they normally snuggle up to each other as that will stress them out even more, not being able to touch each other. I had a padded puppy blanket thing which came with the cage and put newspaper underneath. I also put cut up bin bags on the floor outside the cage covered in newspaper, which also kinda went under the cage a bit as when they did a wee they got it through the bars and onto the floor.

Their hay was in a hay rack and they had water in a bottle though for the first day I'd take the bottle down and physically hold it for them to drink from, which they seemed to appreciate. I couldn't put a bowl out for them as there wasn't enough room.

They were kept in the cage for the first 48 hours and weren't allowed out of it at all. They were then allowed out for 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day for 2 days, which increased quite rapidly to half an hour. Our floor is laminated which they didn't like so I put an old dust sheet down (not normal cotton, but more like brushed cotton) which gave them confidence so they wouldn't slip. I was advised to restrict their movements so they couldn't stretch/jump/climb up on anything for the 2 weeks and neither of them had any problems whatsoever.

Loved having them in the house but the downside was that they took over the utility room and they stunk! :lol:

Thanks for your reply unfortunately I had to separate them at the beginning of the year as Faith had babies. Jessie became hormonal and aggressive towards her when I eventually tried I put them back together so they have been separate since then. I hope to re-bond them once their hormones have settled after the op. X

Back