• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is he neutered?

xlizx

New Kit
I am just about to take my Netherland dwarf rabbit to be neutered so that he can be bonded, this may sound stupid but I was looking at him today and I can't see any testicles, are they always obvious? he has nothing down there, and look nothing like the pictures online, it is possible that he has already been neutered? I got him when he was six months from a family that didn't understand rabbit care, and kept him in a hutch with no run :( so just assumed he hadn't been??

It's possible he has been neutered. Hopefully so! Adult males can also retract their testicles at will to avoid damage. It's possible he's hiding them from you. It's also possible that his testicles haven't descended and so it'll be a more of a complicated operation. I think it's quite a bit more rare for both to be undescended though, so it's possible he's already been neutered. Do you know where that family got him from? Perhaps he's been neutered by his previous owner, unless they got him as a very young bun?

My partner took him to have his vaccinations, but didn't mention the sex, I have checked him and he appears to have a penis (comes out when I gently press on either side). Are they always "out"? he's 9 months old so she should of descended by now

It's possible he has been neutered. Hopefully so! Adult males can also retract their testicles at will to avoid damage. It's possible he's hiding them from you. It's also possible that his testicles haven't descended and so it'll be a more of a complicated operation. I think it's quite a bit more rare for both to be undescended though, so it's possible he's already been neutered. Do you know where that family got him from? Perhaps he's been neutered by his previous owner, unless they got him as a very young bun?

I hope so! will obviously get him checked asap, I believe they got him from a breeder, I know it wasn't a rescue, I've had him for over a month and have never noticed them though, fingers crossed he's already been done!

The buck I just rescued turned out to be a speyed doe and the old owner loved her lots and paid for a castration. Guess we will never know. :lol:

Good luck at the vet.

Back