• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neighbours have found a baby pheasant in their garden. HELP

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
They have asked if I could take it in and put it in with the rabbits?

I would like to help but feel that it may peck them and anyway what would happen if I was to hand rear it? Dont like to leave it on its own. They think it is a female.

Who would be the best organisation to help with her? Can she be released in to the 'wild'? We live by an estury. I do know of some fields but would she be able to cope on her own?

HELP!!!

How old do you think it is?

Yeah you wouldn't want to put it in with the rabbits.

A baby will be eaten by predators quickly so i definitely wouldn't release it until its grown. they're very easy to raise, although depending on how old it is it could become imprinted unless you spend minimal time with it.

Are you sure its wild? I don't know about in the UK but I wouldn't have thought there would be baby pheasants this early?

depending on how large your run is, could you section some off for it?
We kept a pigeon in part of our run for a couple of weeks while it repaired some muscles, we left a small carrier in there for it to hide/sleep in.

depending on how large your run is, could you section some off for it?
We kept a pigeon in part of our run for a couple of weeks while it repaired some muscles, we left a small carrier in there for it to hide/sleep in.

Yeah that might work for a chick that is 4-6 weeks old, depends on how old it is really.
If it's younger it needs to be indoors with a heat lamp as young pheasant chicks need to be kept very warm, just like young ducklings, chicken chicks etc. So 95F for the first week of their life and then every week you gradually reduce the temp by a couple degrees. :)

Can you get a photo of it? As they should only need help if they are a tiny chick. Also, are they sure the mum isn't caring for it, because it is normal for them to leave the chicks alone on the nest once they're a bit bigger. There will be babies around now, from the feral population who survived the last shooting season. Juveniles are independent pretty soon but retain juvenile colouring, so can't really advise without a photo.

+1 to what William said if it is a genuine tiny baby, in which case someone who raises their own ducks/chickens might be a useful contact to get an incubator.

Definitely don't put it in with the rabbits, of its tiny they could hurt it, if it's not then pheasants can be extremely territorial and attack anything in their territory including people and cars (in my own experience).

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for replying. I havent seen her yet. My neighbour reakoned about six weeks old. I will not be putting her in with the rabbits although I could section off some of the run. Just dont want us to get attached to each other. :)?).

Thanks for those links. Will look them up and get in touch tomorrow.

Personally I would leave well alone unless you are absolutely 100% positive it has been abandoned as its parents are probably watching and come back for it. If you take it away its parents will panic - and so will the baby.

I don't wish to offend you but too many people find what they think is a lone baby bird and pick it up and take it in, or take it to a vet to look after, whereas in actual fact they should just leave it alone. Nine times out of 10 the parents know precisely where their baby is and will return.

My OH is asleep ATM but he used to be a gamekeeper & rear pheasants and other birds like that. I'll ask him in the morning & report back for tou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would leave well alone unless you are absolutely 100% positive it has been abandoned as its parents are probably watching and come back for it. If you take it away its parents will panic - and so will the baby.

I don't wish to offend you but too many people find what they think is a lone baby bird and pick it up and take it in, or take it to a vet to look after, whereas in actual fact they should just leave it alone. Nine times out of 10 the parents know precisely where their baby is and will return.

This is true for some species of birds, but I didn't think pheasants ever left their brood? Not until the chicks are older e.g 2-3 months old when they start getting independent and capable of protecting themselves. An abandoned chick will get eaten by predators in no time, the best chance it has is finding another mother with chicks that it can stay with.

If it is 6 wks that's a bit young to be on its own so it would be best for it to be kept until it's 10-12 wks old.

They do leave, my parents have one that nests outside the kitchen door every year. The mums look after the brood alone so periodically get up and leave. They usually cover the chicks over a bit though. And don't go for long.

My neighbours took her in on friday and wanted me to take her yesterday. I gave them the numbers from the links and suggested that they contact someone who knows what they are doing. Havent heard anything today.

Back