• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

George has disappeared

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I haven't posted this before as I've been working really long hours and have also been poorly with my asthma again, but George escaped out of the cat flap three weeks ago:(:(

He taught himself to use the cat flap but I have a piece of wood between the back door and the kitchen so that he can't get out, but the cats can as they jump the wood. There have been times when I have forgotten to put the wood across - usually after a night shift - and George has always been in the back yard 'talking' to Frangipan and Faye.

On this occasion I had been working all day and was on-call all night. Was called in at about 2300 and when I went out of the back door I noticed George was outside. I went to catch him but he ran past me. Usually he bounces back indoors, but this time he went under the parked cars. I tried to get him but he just ran under a different car. I was working at the Sexual Assault Referral Centre and there was a young person who had travelled for an hour waiting outside the Centre with the police so I had to go to work to let them in.

When I got home at 0430 George was nowhere to be seen. I did have a look in the neighbouring gardens and over the cemetery wall but was too scared to go in the cemetery as it was still dark and I know groups of youths hang out in there sometimes drinking.

I have put posters up and contacted RSPCA, PDSA, Blue Cross, local vets and Pets at Home. I don't know what else to do:(:(

He has never gone far before and I hate myself for forgetting to put the wood up and for going to work and leaving him. I know from previous experience when the trio escaped that it can take a couple of hours with two people to catch the bunnies when they are outside because of all the cars.

Violet is clearly missing George and isn't eating much. She spends most of her time in the crate. I am at a loss as to what to do. I work long hours so she needs bunny company but it doesn't feel right adopting another bun (and after losing George I doubt any rescue would allow me to anyway). I did have a look at the PAH adoption part today when I was buying SS and they did have a lovely looking bun, but s/he wasn't George:(

I could bond Violet with my pair or my quad but she is used to being indoors and I am terrified of breaking the bonds up as they are all very settled, happy little buns.

Sadly, George wasn't microchipped. No-one can make me feel any worst than I do already:cry:

Oh no, I'm so sorry :( Try not to feel bad about it though, what's done is done and beating yourself up about it won't help anyone now.

I hope that George can still come back to you, or you can at least find him (even if it's not good news) and get some closure. Hugs xx

Last edited:
Oh what an awful thing to have happened, I'm so sorry. You must be worried sick.
Isn't it typical that he should escape and then run off under some cars when your called to work for something that really couldn't wait.
I'd keep the posters up round and about, and maybe even a bit further afield than you have. Also, local vets usually keep a lost pet list, so ring around and report him missing, so if anyone does find him and they take him in, hopefully you can be reunited. Hopefully some kind person has found him and is looking after him. I know it's easy to imagine the worst, but it does happen. I found a stray bun and despite me putting up posters I couldn't trace her owners, I kept her and she now has a bonded partner and lives in a summerhouse and 24/7 access to a huge run. She is very happy.
As I say, I know it's easy to imagine the worst, but please try to remember that there are good people out there who will look after him.
I do hope he comes home xxx

I keep coming back to your post, and I keep trying to find the right words... But nothing I come up with seems to express how deeply sorry I am this has happened to you... :(

Please, please be kind to yourself - you're going through so much at the moment. It was an accident and circumstances.

Sending (((hugs))) xx

:cry: I'm so sorry :cry: please don't feel guilty, you are only human and we can't remember everything all the time. Sending hugs, and hope that George is found xx

I'm so sorry :( I am sending positive thoughts for George's reappearance. Perhaps he's hiding out in/behind/under someone's shed?

Please don't be too hard on yourself.
I'm an OR nurse so I appreciate that when you get called in it's all on.
Sometimes life gets so busy it's impossible to think of everything.
Sending 'return home vibes' to George.

I'm so sorry. :( As others have said, please don't blame yourself - we all make mistakes. I once left the bottom of door of Spenser's hutch unlocked overnight, and although he had a cover down he could easily have got out had the mood taken him.

Sendings hugs and positive thoughts, also thinking of Violet. xxx

Im so sorry, really hoping you'll find him, maybe leaving a carrier with hay and his fav treats would help?
sending vibes, and whatever decision you make it will be the right one for violet xxxxxx

lots of hugs xxxx

Could you get knocking on neighbours doors?

Someone may have found him and taken him in? If they always use the car and don't walk around your local neighbourhood they may not have seen your posters.

I would put a note through every door on the street asking if anyone has seen him.

Could you get knocking on neighbours doors?

Someone may have found him and taken him in? If they always use the car and don't walk around your local neighbourhood they may not have seen your posters.

I would put a note through every door on the street asking if anyone has seen him.

I live in a cul-de-sac and everyone in the terrace (which is only a small one) knows I have buns. At the end of the terrace is a large cemetery.

I will try to put some posters up a bit further afield though - there is a housing estate not too far away and I haven't tried there. A friend printed me off quite a few posters so I have plenty.

I'm not sure where you live exactly but does your area have one of those "Spotted" Facebook pages? I know a lot of places have them now, including my town, and actually a lot of lost pets have been found because of it!

Facebook is a good idea, there is often a local page where you can post general notices. Maybe someone took him in & doesn't know what to do to find his owner? I hope you find him x

I'm so sorry :cry: Someone on another thread said that if a bun is found by an RSPCA inspector they can be taken to any branch of the RSPCA (or independent rescue) that has space, so it might be worth contacting rescues much further away. I hope he can be found xx

Oh no I'm so sorry :cry: it was an honest mistake. I do hope you find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back