• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Selling my hutches - welfare??

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
As some will know, I've got my 2 hutches to sell and I've just been painting them today ready to sell. I'm going to try Facebook before eBay as they take 10% now :? However it's playing on my mind that it's coming up to Easter and just spring time in general, I get a bit defensive when other people get/want rabbits as I know most people won't do the right research first and don't realise what they're taking on (as I didn't when I first started) so I'm kind of feeling like I'm encouraging people to get rabbits (it's why I was hoping someone on here would buy them instead!) Can anyone think if a short sentence I can include with my description that doesn't sound patronising or anything! Something along the lines of please do your research if you're thinking of getting rabbits... Considering my Facebook friends will be seeing it, I don't want to come across wrong but I feel like it's my duty aswell. Although they're big 6x3 hutches and would be massively better for any rabbits than what someone might pick up at a petstore, we all know there's a lot more to it than that! So how can I get that across without sounding like a snobby know it all?!

I cant really think of a sentence unless you put something about the hutch will meet RWAF minimum guidelines for 2small to medium sized rabbits if they attach a large run too - and you could always link to RWAF a hutch is not enough - i think that would get people looking at the rest of rabbit care too.

TBH though i think the kind of people who consider a 6ft hutch generally are the kind of people who research and care about rabbits.

I wouldn't worry too much about sounding like a know it all. As long as you keep it factual and not preachy, it won't sound bad to most reasonable people. I'd just put something like 'Please note that these hutches meet the minimum requirements suggested by the rabbit welfare association, but that you will need to provide constant access to an appropriate sized run (6 x 4 x 2 ft minimum). Please also consider that rabbits are social animals who need a bonded, neutered partner; and live on average for 8-12 years. Rabbits need neutering and spaying, as well as yearly vaccinations. Insurance is also recommended due to the high costs of vet visits. Rabbits are a long term commitment and are expensive pets when kept properly. Please consider a rescue pair or rabbits rather than buying a young rabbit from a pet shop, as many rabbits are dumped shortly after Easter every year.'

Why not approach your nearest rescue and let them know you have them for sale, see if they want to buy them or maybe someone who is going to adopt from them?

I'd probably just put "Please note rabbits need lots of space so you'll need to attach a run of at least 8x4ft to meet minimum RSPCA and RWAF guidelines.
For some really useful information on rabbits as pets click here." (add an appropriate link)
You could sneak in a mention of how long they live as well by saying something like "rabbits live 10-12 years so a well made hutch is money well spent."

You can always give people more advice when they come to have a look and refuse sale if you're not happy.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, just want to keep it simple as there'll already be a lot of info in the description. I think I'll just say that they meet RSPCA standards when used with an attached run min 8x4ft. Then link to RWAF page. I'm also going to link to runaround so people can see why I had holes cut in the hutches :lol: (I've boarded them up now!) Hoping that might inspire people too :D

Thanks for the ideas everyone, just want to keep it simple as there'll already be a lot of info in the description. I think I'll just say that they meet RSPCA standards when used with an attached run min 8x4ft. Then link to RWAF page. I'm also going to link to runaround so people can see why I had holes cut in the hutches :lol: (I've boarded them up now!) Hoping that might inspire people too :D

Keeping it simple will probably be the best idea, I think you're right. How have you boarded the holes up? It'd be interesting to see :wave:

Keeping it simple will probably be the best idea, I think you're right. How have you boarded the holes up? It'd be interesting to see :wave:

I've just screwed a thin painted board on either side...

The outside

The inside before I put the board on

The inside boarded up

I'm wondering whether I should put mesh underneath the boards just in case...??

TBH I think if someone were looking to spend that kind of money on a hutch rather than buying a £30 P@H cheapy or whatever, they probably already know that rabbits need space etc. (Or maybe I'm just being optimistic....)

TBH I think if someone were looking to spend that kind of money on a hutch rather than buying a £30 P@H cheapy or whatever, they probably already know that rabbits need space etc. (Or maybe I'm just being optimistic....)

I think a lot of people would spend £80 but they'd spend it on a poor quality 'large' hutch like a double 4ft that people think is huge! I think most people know that bigger is better, just don't necessarily understand the importance of space for rabbits. I'm hoping it will attract someone that might have gone and spent £100+ thinking they're getting an amazing hutch, when they could get my much better one for less!

Back