• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebuilding Muscle?

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Since he came to us Oliver has been coming on in leaps and bounds, last night he did his first proper binky in which he actually had enough strength in his legs to get airbourne. He doesn't get so exhausted anymore from running around either which is great. However despite extra feeding he has lost weight. Vet says this is fine, he is losing weight as more active and muscle takes longer to rebuild, once that happens his weight will stabilise.

Question is does anyone know how long it takes? We'd like more weight on him before he's neutered but I am really struggling with the incessant spraying. He's the most affectionate rabbit you've ever met and he only ever sprays me but its driving me mad. Plus it makes me really sad to see him so obviously frustrated, as soon as he sees me the circling and honking starts.

Sorry, why has he got muscle wastage and where about is it?

Would your vet consider hormone injections in the short term if he is so frustrated? Although all that circling will help build his muscles up!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

He's a freead bun. The lady I rehomed him from got him out of an awful situation where he was in a tiny overcrowed cage and bearly fed. He had hardly any fur. He's fur has grown back nicely and passed his vet check with flying colours. When we first got him he got exhausted very easily, The muscle wastage is manely his back end, He couldn't hop in and out of his base cage without help - now he is super active and belts round the house which is lovely.

Are there any side effects to hormone injections? How often do they have them?

No side effects just the possibility it might not work. Normally lasts around six weeks.

Try rubbing, tickling the bottom of his feet to make his toes spread. That really builds up muscle in the thigh. Using a small dog physiology ball helps hip muscle but from experience rabbits hate it so we have never pushed it x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Back