• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To operate or not?

Hey everyone
I have a really difficult decision to make. My 7 year old spayed bun Oreo has a large mammary tumour. She has been to the vets today who have x rayed her and confirmed that currently it has not spread anywhere else and her lungs etc are fine. She is not in any discomfort at the moment and is eating, playing climbing on the furniture and humping her sister (rabbits!!) as normal. I have basically been given the choice of either attempting to remove the tumour or keeping her comfortable until the time comes which could be weeks or months they're not sure. The vet says that to operate would be very high risk given the size of the tumour and her age. I'm so torn, I just feel like whichever decision i make I will feel terrible about :( I would feel terrible if she died on the operating table but I don't know if waiting for her to start fading away would be worse. Most importantly I dont know which would be best for her. If anyones got any experience of this sort of situation it would really help.

What an awful decision to have to make.

I really couldn't tell you which way to go, there are pros and cons to both options.

The most important thing right now is that she is happy and still enjoying life so you have a small window of time to think about what is right for her.

Wishing you the very best whatever you decide x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I had a French Lop with the same problem, some metastases and I faced the same decision. Like your girl, she was in no obvious discomfort and there were risks of an op so I adopted a 'wait and see' approach. She lived a further happy 8-10 months then went downhill rapidly with a respiratory infection which she didn't recover from. Possibly the metastases had spread further and had generally weakened her but I was very happy to see her enjoy almost a further year of good health post-diagnosis.

Last edited:
Back