• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny HATES Being Groomed

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Does anybunny actually like being groomed?! I don't groom Little because she's very short haired (and she's too quick anyway) but Teddy's bum is starting get ridiculous.

Last night I captured him and sort of trapped him between my legs and groomed him. Very very quickly gave up on the piddly little comb I bought!! I picked him over where his big fluffy moult is worst but I can't believe how matted it all is :( It's like he's got a little fleece growing back there. I think some of the fur has moulted away but not actually dropped out and become tangled with the other fur. I can't even see his skin at the back.

I got a bundle of fluff almost as big as him out of his coat but there's still loads to come out.

I feel so bad though because it distresses him SO much that he has to go and lie down and pant manically for about an hour after I do it :(

What does everyone thing I should do? I hate putting him through it but he can't carry that bit matt during the summer. It could get all pooey and attract flies or something.

Do vets shave bunny-bums? :shock:

Harley HATES it - she glares at me, wishes a thousand evil things on me, and squeals and thumps afterwards and will not come near me. But it needs doing so she and I just have to put up with it I'm afraid. I put her on the spare bed - if she does get away, it's easier to get hold of her again.

The other buns don't really need it - Bobo does a bit, but we do him whilst he is eating - he is SO focused on his food he doesn't realise what is happening around him.:roll:

I do get the vets to shave around her bits during summer - she is very clean really but it's just in case.

Harley HATES it - she glares at me, wishes a thousand evil things on me, and squeals and thumps afterwards and will not come near me. But it needs doing so she and I just have to put up with it I'm afraid. I put her on the spare bed - if she does get away, it's easier to get hold of her again.

The other buns don't really need it - Bobo does a bit, but we do him whilst he is eating - he is SO focused on his food he doesn't realise what is happening around him.:roll:

I do get the vets to shave around her bits during summer - she is very clean really but it's just in case.

Harley sounds like Ted :( I just feel SO guilty to have made him that stressed. My OH kept saying 'He's really not happy, just let him go' but he couldn't feel how bad the matting was! oh poor old Ted I can only imagine how silly he'll look with a bald bum. I suppose he'll need suncream on it too! :shock:

Yep get a vet to do it! Is he long coated? The trick I find helps with my westie is to groom every day. She hates it but unfortunately she has to have it done poor girl.

I think if you got the vet to sort it you would then have a fresh start. Try feeding at the same time as grooming to try to get a good association with it.

I'm a bit mean and would just do it as quickly as possible and eventually he'll learn you're not going to try and kill him.

Good luck.

If you are pulling it out he probably thinks you are being mean

Don't bunnies pull each other's furr in a fight :? So I doubt he would appreciate it really unless it just loose bits

Try brushing the bits that aren't matted get his used to it for a few days then slowly work down to the mats:)

If you get a knot in your hair it hurts to brush out :)

I really sympathise. Daisy and Tessie Snowflake and Peaches all loathe being touched let alone groomed. Daisy currently has a mat like a third ear that I am putting off cos it upsets her so much.

Just have to grab, snip and let go. I have tried offering treats but they compeletely ignore them in favour of just getting away!!

If you are pulling it out he probably thinks you are being mean

Don't bunnies pull each other's furr in a fight

If you get a knot in your hair it hurts to brush out

Well obviously I'm not pulling his actual fur out! :roll:

I pick him over. Similar motion to gently clicking your fingers but with thumb, index and middle. It pulls away the molt and leaves the rest behind. Combs and brushes don't work on Teddy's coat - on the matted or unmatted fur. The only way to remove the molt is by picking out loose fur and rubbing his coat in a circular motion until old fur comes loose.

I think if you got the vet to sort it you would then have a fresh start. Try feeding at the same time as grooming to try to get a good association with it.

I did try that but he's too stressed to eat when I'm doing it and won't accept a treat for about an hour after :( I just have to leave him alone very quietly and let Little kiss him better.

I really sympathise. Daisy and Tessie Snowflake and Peaches all loathe being touched let alone groomed. Daisy currently has a mat like a third ear that I am putting off cos it upsets her so much.

Just have to grab, snip and let go. I have tried offering treats but they compeletely ignore them in favour of just getting away!!

Do you do it yourself? I think I'd be terrified to, but then again he's not going to be any less squirmy at the vets :( Maybe I just like handing the responsibility to someone else! :lol:

I'd be terrified of the clippers getting stuck in the matt :shock:

Luckily my girls don't need grooming at all and Eli was reasonably happy for you to follow him round the garden teasing out the moulted bits but new bunny is heavily matted around his bottom/back and doesn't like me trying to tease it out.
Like you, I think it's the old moulted fur matted in with the new fur because there's so much of it - it would take me forever to tease it out and I think would start to really stress him out so I've decided to cut it out a little at a time when he's busy with food and then try and stay on top of it by combing him as often as needs to be done.

Katniss quite likes it (she's the least hairy), Prim doesn't mind as long as she's eating but nips to tell you when she's had enough, Cinna hates it but will let me do it if im not holding her.

So now we groom whilst they're eating their salad in the morning.

Although last night Cinna let me pick her up, the first time this has happened without me having to corner her and wrap her in a towel.

Well obviously I'm not pulling his actual fur out! :roll:

I pick him over. Similar motion to gently clicking your fingers but with thumb, index and middle. It pulls away the molt and leaves the rest behind. Combs and brushes don't work on Teddy's coat - on the matted or unmatted fur. The only way to remove the molt is by picking out loose fur and rubbing his coat in a circular motion until old fur comes loose.

I didn't mean you were plucking un loose fur:?

What about a wide tooth Combe like an Afro that would get thru a thick coat maybe ?

I do it while he's eating, and with matted hair (round his bum) my partner picks him up and i cut it out so it's quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will post pictures of his little pink bum if the vet does decide it's the best idea. Oh dear, poor Ted! :lol:

My rabbit Chloe has a demat once to twice a year at the vets (she had one Monday). Unfortunately it means her going under sedation and usually under a general too but she looks so much better for it and can clean herself a lot more easily. Best thing is to go have a consultation with your vet :thumb:

Do you do it yourself? I think I'd be terrified to, but then again he's not going to be any less squirmy at the vets :( Maybe I just like handing the responsibility to someone else! :lol:

I'd be terrified of the clippers getting stuck in the matt :shock:

I dont use clippers (too scarey) just rounded end scissors, the sort sold for young children. My lot seem to get mats round their ears mostly (5 of them are lionhead x).

I reakon that he would be less squirmy at the vet due to fear of a new place ...

Barc bunny Paddington is such a poser, and actually sits on a chair in front of me, as though he is at the barbers, with a towel draped round him :lol: He has his face washed, behind his ears, all brushed, and dead fur slickened out, and I move round him as though I was a hairdresser. His front paws for his nail trims he just lifts up, and his hind (really long, sexy legs :love:) he stretches right out, so that they can be trimmed.

I guess he is just loads vainer than Little :roll:

Back