• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Biscuit eaten at least 1/4 of a bag of rolled oats

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Morning all

I've just walked into my office to find the bag of oats I keep on my desk (they were here from Ginger :() on the floor, almost empty. That means 1/4 of a bag roughly.

Biscuit didn't run to the door when I walked in, he was sat by the water bowl, but when I got a pellet out he ran around and came and took it from me.

Should I be doing anything or just monitoring? He's definitely pooped and weed overnight, but I don't know when this happened, hes now hopping around my office.

Thanks in advance.

I would call the vet and ask, obviously they will swell in his stomach so he'll feel mega bloated/full if nothing else. Just give him hay to eat. Hope he's ok x

he'll have a very shiny coat. mine used to have a small amount of oats for this purpose!
hope it doesn't upset his tum.

I would call a vet too. As it's dry it could cause his gut to dehydrate. If it was a moist or fresh good I would say just keep an eye on him. Good luck.

I'd call the vet too. I'd also make sure he has plenty of water! Look out for the usual signs of tummy trouble but, hopefully, he'll be fine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoken to Vet, they've suggested just keeping an eye on him, syringe some water if possible (hahahahahaha, this is Biscuit the 'no holds' bunny) and give him nothing but a hay only diet for 24hrs which is what we're doing anyway, so is all good.

They are literally 2 minutes away if I need to take him in, thanks for the replies guys, just wanted some experience :)

I was just thinking about encouraging water. Is he used to apple or orange juice? Because that could get him to drink more for himself but you don't want to upset his tummy further. But then forcing him to take syringed water could stress him out too :?

:shock: Oh flipping hell, they don't know their own greed. Biccy must have thought what a wonderful night he was having, alone pinching the oats off the desk. Hope he is fine soon.

:lol: Oh no! Sorry it's not really funny but it reminds me of the time Little ate a bag of Bombay Mix.

Keep a close eye and hopefully all will be well.

Naughty bun!!

Wow he must be pooping away now, pleased you got advice. As long as he's happy then you know he's OK.

Back