• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arrrrggghhh!! Backwards litter habits!

WelshGirl

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I'm a woman on the edge with my buns at the moment! Please give advice someone :-/
I have four house bunnies who will soon be in a room together and will hopefully not freak out as they are in two separate pairs (but we have a dog and I want to keep them safe). But moving them in next to each other is a challenge for a few weeks :-/

My problem now is this:

When I only had Arthur, he was fantastic at using his litter tray and only a few pellets came out if accidentally kicked, along with sawdust (he has a covered cat litter tray). When I got him a gf they started pooing on the floor!!! Everywhere!! I thought this might settle down after the territory marking stopped but no such luck :-( Anyway, I then rescued two more buns from someone who left them with a respiratory infection and refused to take them to the vet - so I persuaded them to hand them over and a lot of vet visits/money/antibiotics later they are healthy happy buns :)

They also started out well using litter trays (were kept outside now live inside) but they seem to have gone BACKWARDS too! First they started pooing everywhere and now they wee on the carpet!!! They are currently in a spare bedroom to keep well away from our dog and they have ruined the carpet in there :-/ I have cleaned it four times with diluted white vinegar but they just do it again!! I clean their litter tray every two days - it's filled with sawdust and mass amounts of hay - what am I doing wrong?!? Please help!! Sorry for the essay

Xx

Last edited:
I'm assuming they are all spayed/neutered? Maybe the presence of the other rabbits could be causing it like territorial marking, but lots of people keep 2 pairs in a divided shed/room so fingers crossed it will settle down. I think with the poos if you can sweep them up regularly and put them into the tray, to teach them where to go, also can you give them more trays, and put them where they are weeing ? Hopefully it's not in random places all over. Maybe an underbed storage box one would be a good idea, lots of people use them on here :thumb: it's not recommended to use sawdust/shavings with bunnies as it can cause respiratory problems with the phenols in them. Some people use newspaper/hay, fitch, auboise, I use wood pellet litter in mine.

My pair of girls had 3 trays at one time, as they would wee in 2 other places as well as where the litter tray was :roll: now I have my 2 pairs bonded into a quad they have 4 trays, one is a big underbed storage box, the other 3 are smaller high sided recycling boxes with a scoop out of the front.

Back