• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm SO angry!

joeybun

Warren Scout
Apparently I'm worse than the rabbit hoarder who was on tv last week because....
My (2) rabbits have space?!!

My sisters (who don't even live at home anymore!) aren't happy that charlie and Lola are still indoors as the house "smells like a rabbit hutch" - ok, they are in the loft bedroom which doesn't have a door so the house does smell of hay when you walk through the front door.
I have explained that they are both going out once the weather has warmed up and I have the shed ready (ordered for monday :D ) The response from this is "they are meant to be outside that's why they have winter coats" :evil:
So I tryed to explain that they will get sick, when they failed to take any notice of this I explain that the hutch is too small for them both to fit through the ramp (it's a 5' double sat inside a 9 x 6 avairy, so would be ok but it's still too cold) .... solution to this is to close off the ramp and keep them seperate and alternate them in the run??? :?
I've give up with them, I just nod along to what they say and ignore them. I don't understand some people, why can't they just take my word for it :( I want them to go outside, they will have more space to run around (and won't keep me awake of a night :lol: ) but I have to do what is best for them. Sorry for the rant but I needed to get it off my chest :)

Last edited:
Give your buns a big cuddle in the knowledge that you are doing what's right for them!:love: That should make you feel better! ;)

Thank you everybody :D
I try not to let it bother me because I understand (although I don't like it and wish it as different) that a lot of people aren't educated on rabbits and think they should live in a hutch as that is what they have done for years. It's just that they tell every one as soon as they get a chance e.g at Christmas we where at my aunties house in a room full of people and my sister tells them all that I am "animal mad" (ok, I am :lol:) and that I have an rabbit living in my bedroom, everybody just looked at me like I had 2 heads! :roll:
I can't wait for the shed to come anyway - I can't wait to see the faces when they see the rabbits are getting more space! :lol: but I love watching Charlie and Lola race up and down my room, however, there isn't much room with the pen up so it will be a lot better for them outside. I'm going to miss seeing their little faces when I go into my room though :cry:

Yes I would be angry too, especially when you have tried to explain the reasoning behind it all. Some people just don't get it though :roll:

I know you'll miss them when they go outside, but when they're in the shed you'll be able to go and sit out there with them :thumb: I love it now mine are in a shed rather than the hutch, we've got a chair in there for me/my daughter to sit on/them to go on, although somebunny keeps pooing on it, there's always a few on there :roll: Probably them saying it's our chair not yours :lol:

Yes I would be angry too, especially when you have tried to explain the reasoning behind it all. Some people just don't get it though :roll:

I know you'll miss them when they go outside, but when they're in the shed you'll be able to go and sit out there with them :thumb: I love it now mine are in a shed rather than the hutch, we've got a chair in there for me/my daughter to sit on/them to go on, although somebunny keeps pooing on it, there's always a few on there :roll: Probably them saying it's our chair not yours :lol:

Exactly Zoobec has said! I really don't get some people.

If you look after any pet properly and keep its blankets, litter boxes etc clean it won't smell.

I love the smell of hay. I could smell it as I did Tescos last night (I keep mybags for life in the bunny cupboard)

I wish they could understand, they are not trying to be horrible, but they think it's ok for a rabbit to live on it's own in a small hutch (again I get told it's how people have kept them for hundreds of years so why suddenly do they get sheds and large runs :roll: )
Oh well, I know I'm doing the right thing for them so I'll try not to let other people get me down :thumb:
thanks again everyone :)

I wish they could understand, they are not trying to be horrible, but they think it's ok for a rabbit to live on it's own in a small hutch (again I get told it's how people have kept them for hundreds of years so why suddenly do they get sheds and large runs :roll: )
Oh well, I know I'm doing the right thing for them so I'll try not to let other people get me down :thumb:
thanks again everyone :)

Maybe explain that the reason that bunnies were kept in small hutches in the past was to fatten them up to eat them. They were designed so that the bunnies couldn't move very much so that they would put on weight as quickly as possible :(

I have 5 house bunnies & my OH doesn't get it either. Easier said than done but try to ignore them. You're right, they're wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two dogs, eight rabbits, two guinea pigs and a hamster. I am 53 and a lot of people find it quite strange. They also think that the six foot rabbit hutches that they have are 'huge'. Have they never seen a rabbit warren???

Back