• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!

Jojo123

Mama Doe
Just syringed fed Alfie his food, did it slowly and thought he wasn't eating it. He just collected it in his mouth and spat it out when I put him down! How can I make him eat it?

I hide it on soaked pellets, put a bit on one end and give them the end that doesn't have the medicine on, because the pellets are softer they mush them up quicker and they don't realise. It's been incredibly helpful for us and the little nightmare Kerbie :lol:

I hide it on soaked pellets, put a bit on one end and give them the end that doesn't have the medicine on, because the pellets are softer they mush them up quicker and they don't realise. It's been incredibly helpful for us and the little nightmare Kerbie :lol:

Sorry I mean his critical care food. He just collected a mouthful and spat it all out :wave:

Oh :lol: I never had any luck with that, just ended up leaving it on a plate where it was licked up. I did mush some soaked pellets up on top of the critical care though which is probably the reason why it was actually eaten I think!

Oh :lol: I never had any luck with that, just ended up leaving it on a plate where it was licked up. I did mush some soaked pellets up on top of the critical care though which is probably the reason why it was actually eaten I think!

Hes still not interested in food :( he will nibble a bit of hay but that's it. Wonder if I made it thinner he would swallow it better?

He has pooped. Did 9 normal poops and has done 2 small handfuls of little poops? Is this heading in the right direction for him getting better?

Hello Jojo123 :wave:

Awww, poor Alfie, I didn't know he was poorly :oops: I just kinda float through RU at the moment, it's been crazy times... :roll:

Hmmm, I'm no expert but the fact Alfie is pooing sounds like a good sign to me :thumb:
The critical care is a bit more taxing on my noodle... :lol: I have read that some people offer the critical care on a spoon for bunny to lick; also I'm wondering if you could mix it with a tiny bit of mashed banana or baby food to get him to accept it? I wonder if anyone can confirm any success with this?

Adding my (((vibes))) for Alfie boy.xx

Thank you Schez and Snuffles, he's munching hay so have given up on the critical care. Will see what the vet says in the morning. He's sleeping in a cage on his own tonight so I can make sure he's had a wee and done some more poops. They both are not too happy with this

If he's eating hay that's great :D

I would try offering him a range of different things, rabbits can be weird about what they will won't eat when off colour so he might like fresh herbs or dandelions even though he's refusing pellets.

If he's eating hay that's great :D

I would try offering him a range of different things, rabbits can be weird about what they will won't eat when off colour so he might like fresh herbs or dandelions even though he's refusing pellets.

Thanks Tasmin, I gave him parsley and some baby corn last night. He had a little nibble but still seems to prefer hay. Hopefully he will get his appetite back today his poops are bigger overnight though! :wave:

When I visited Maysie and Mike at Tuckerbunnies, I mentioned about George and Harry with their gut stasis episode back before christmas.

They suggested mixing a small amount of that Ella's baby food in with the critical care to make it more appetising. I think they suggested the banana flavour.

Those things are awful and should never be marketed for rabbits :(

But you weren't to know if they have for rabbits on the label x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Those things are awful and should never be marketed for rabbits :(

But you weren't to know if they have for rabbits on the label x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

They were a gift from someone who doesn't have buns. I only feed a few kernals per day.

I've also heard of buns choking on the dried kernals - I'd throw it away personally if you've any left. Your friend wouldn't of known as they are sold in lots of petshops marketed for rabbits.

Back