• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay only diets

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
If your bunny has to eat only hay for a while, what do you do if they aren't eating as much as they should? Molly and barney have had only hay since Monday, but they are getting really depressed already :( they were eating plenty of hay at first but i think they're getting bored of it now :( i have ordered a different type which should arrive tomorrow, but I'm worried they're not eating enough.

I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. I know it's the advice you have received from a very experienced vet but, I still find it quite difficult to understand. What is the purpose of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't know the circumstances, but I'd suggest mixing some dry herbs in if possible - that adds a bit of interest.

As long as they are eating and pooping, it might just be they are settling into the routine. Rabbit's aren't usually to fussed by the same foods all the time, as long as they like them.

When I had bunnies on hay only, they had a pinch of dried herbs twice a day, which they absolutely loved and it kind of replaced the dried food with the whole excitement factor etc. With the hay itself, I went for three different ones, which I think also helped. eg. a basic meadow hay, some timothy, and some green oat as a treat.

I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. I know it's the advice you have received from a very experienced vet but, I still find it quite difficult to understand. What is the purpose of it?

It is meant to give the gut a chance to stabilise itself, get the gut 'flora' back to normal. This, combined with the Mesalazine that Barney is on, should hopefully calm down any inflammation/irritation that he has in there.

Thanks for the replies folks :wave: I am pleased to report that Molly and Barney have perked up a bit tonight, they've been running round, and munching plenty of hay. I have just given them their bedtime green oat hay, which they're happily tucking into, so I feel a bit better. And poops are looking good too :D

I suspect we worry more about 'variety' in a rabbits diet than they do.

In the wild they would have not much more than grass to feast on naturally :D

I'm glad to see that Molly and Barney are a little more settled. :) I can vouch for the hay only diet because that saved wee Fiver from a miserable cecum problem. But I know it's worrisome when they balk at or refuse it at first. Of course he used to get plain canned pumpkin each night as a treat so he really missed that. Hay was obviously boring by comparison.
Another thing that makes this diet work well is hay that is as free as possible from brown leaf or weeds. I have had quite a bit of that in my last few batches and as a result Fiver is once again needing bum baths if he gets any of that. Might be different with your two, but that's been my experience. :)
Continued healing vibes for Molly and Barney. :) xxxx

Here you are :wave: Have been looking from an update from you!

I hope Molly and Barney are having a good day today. Has Barney had less of his painful tummies since he has been on hay only?

It is meant to give the gut a chance to stabilise itself, get the gut 'flora' back to normal. This, combined with the Mesalazine that Barney is on, should hopefully calm down any inflammation/irritation that he has in there.

Ah, I see. If that's the only reason, it seems to me you will be able to mix a little of something dried and tasty in if need be. It's effectively what I've done with leaves rather than hay then. :)

had a thought before - galens garden do hay 'bricks' which might be fun for them aswell as being just hay. they also do hay pellets aswell. :wave:

Back