• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do? jasper has a big matt in his mane...

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
jasper has quite an odd coat, he's currently got the mane of a lionhead but he's also got the coarse fur associated with nethies. hes got quite a large matt on one side of his mane and i'm not quite sure what to do with it. should i try and brush it out? - the matt is associated with the coarse fur and so i'm not sure if it;ll brush out. or do i just cut it off?? he might look a bit odd!

Cut it off I would say. Rosie, Hollie and BJ are always getting knots in their manes, I suspect where they groom each other. I have bought some curved ended scissors and simply cut the knot out. Trying to untangle lionhead manes is fiendishly difficult.

Cut it out if possible. Two of my lionheads are prone to matts when they scratch behind their ears, so I have cut them out if they are beyond de tangling by hand. My bunnies are not fans of being handled so this is fun! :shock: I have to trick them into thinking they are getting lots of strokes and nose rubs and then sneakily snip! My other lionhead had matts under her tail before, she had very dense fur there and there was no chance it would come out by brushing so I took her to the vet who shaved her. No chance of her letting him do that anymore, but thankfully she has had no more matts there!

we gave him a good grooming when we got home and got most of it out, might have to just cut it though. he was such a good boy and sat there the whole time. lots of treats afterwards! would never have that with buttons or nibbles, theyd bite and scratch :lol:

Daisy has a mat like a third eat atm. I am putting off catching her to cut it off as she has only just started to let me near her when she eats (still no strokes) after the last time I did this to her (mats on the back of her head). She is the one who loathes being handled the most out of all of them (Snowflake, Tessie and Peaches are pretty anti handling as well).

So glad my new rabbits are smooth haired. Ofcourse they are happy to be stroked! Typical :lol:

Its great that he let you groom most of it out. Bless him.

Back