• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny losing fur

clarebear

Mama Doe
Hello, My friends poor bunny is losing it's fur, from his chest downwards. She took him to the vets, and it is not mites. Any suggestions as to why this is happening please? :(

Does he have any other symptoms such as excessive humping of other Rabbits or inanimate objects if he lives alone ?

Is he eating as normal ?

Any evidence of an increased respiratory rate and/or effort ?

How old is he ?

how did they rule out mites?

i thought mites or maybe he is pulling it himself through stress, or being able to 'feel' something going on in that area, maybe inside? :?

Scarlett lost all her fur around her back last year like that, the vets had no idea what caused it but one suggested it might be hormonal but still couldn't give me any real answers. It had all grown back within a couple of weeks though

Hope your friend manages to get to the bottom of it and it's nothing serious, I remember how much I panicked when they didn't know what caused it :(

That's weird. It is around the sort of area a doe will pluck when making a nest.

Does the rabbit live indoors or come indoors? I'm thinking allergy to something here, my old dog had something similar, she was allergic to lots of things and plucked fur out when she itched. Had to change lots of things, including our washing powder.

I'm assuming fleas have been ruled out?

Do they know whether the rabbit is pulling it out, or whether it is falling out?

Over what period of time did it appear?

I asked my friend some more questions:
He seems to be eating normally however neither of them drink a lot.
Breathing seems normal, the vet did listen to him
He is approx 6-7 months old
The vet said probably not mitesas there is no scabs where he would have itched he's just pulled it out it's a smooth as a baby's bum, of course it could be stew pulling it out rather than dumpling!
He always objects to me moving him even though I try and chat to him and it is 96% of the time me, occasionally it's one of my boys who are 12 & 15 so quite responsible. Thank you Clare he does not seem bothered by it however yesterday when I put the mite treatment on them they licked it off each other so I am wondering if that's gonna work!!!

Anymore thoughts? :?

Mine have never had scabs when they've had mites, but they never lose fur either. Leo did when we first had him because he had a massive clump of the dandruff on his back and once that was gone it was just very smooth bare skin!

Could his friend be doing it to him? Overgrooming? But then it's his chest :? It's a weird one!

It could possibly be the other bunny, but they are both moulting so there is a lot of fluff anyway, and she never catches him doing it!

Back