• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acupuncture questions..U/D I think it's worked!

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Fiver is booked in for a session of acupuncture tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect. Can somebody just let me know exactly what goes on? Do most rabbits enjoy it, or does it depend on the bun? Do I need to take anything (apart from Fiver, of course :lol:).

It's costing £36.50, which I thought was pretty good. :thumb:

Last edited:
That is reasonable. Mine for Inca was £55.

Basically I just supported Inca on the Vet table whist she was getting it done. Initially she would move about but then she started to like it and often chattered her teeth.

I would take a bit of vet bed in case the acupuncturist doesn't have any with her, comfier for sitting on the vet table.

That is reasonable. Mine for Inca was £55.

Basically I just supported Inca on the Vet table whist she was getting it done. Initially she would move about but then she started to like it and often chattered her teeth.

I would take a bit of vet bed in case the acupuncturist doesn't have any with her, comfier for sitting on the vet table.

How lovely that Inca enjoyed it enough to chatter her teeth x

Taking vetbed is a really good idea. May do that for mine on their next visit (vaccine time).

We took vet bed or a fleece blanket and also a bag of treats as trevor used to wiggle off at the start so they kept her occupied until she was settled.

Oh and we also took lots of kitchen roll and a damp flannel as she had a habit of weeing on the table when relaxed!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the tips. :) I have a little piece of vet bed in a pillow case (the bunnies decided that the rubber grip at the bottom was edible :roll:) this should be perfect for this. :thumb:

Hugo's There, Trevor is a she? There must be story behind that. :lol: I don't think Fiver will pee, considering he spent 4 hours out of my room when I accidentally shut him out, and he didn't pee or poo once. :lol: He is VERY litter trained, and refuses to pee in his carrier. :roll:

Seems like generally buns enjoy it once they get used to it. How often did buns need to go? I do think Fiver will be good, he tends to just sit on the table or sit in my arms when at the vets. He doesn't like it there but he doesn't try to run away or anything. :thumb: I will definitely take treats, although I suspect he will refuse them. He wouldn't even accept a fenugreek crunchie off me after he'd been to the vets the last time! :shock:

Search my threads for trevor!

For us it starts with an initial hour to hour and a half appointment to assess the bunny. Then the normal appointments are 45mins. We usually start with every week and eventually go to one a fortnight. They normally say give it three sessions to see if there is any improvement. If not then acupuncture may not be the right thing.

Good luck

I've no experience of this but just wanted to say good luck and I really hope it helps Fiver.
I cannot imagine any of mine sitting still long enough!

I can't seem to find anything on Trevor, apart from passing mentions. I did find the thread of the picture that was done of her, she looks like a beautiful bunny. :love:

I think this session is going to be half an hour, I hope that is long enough. I don't know if the vet has experience in rabbits, but I don't support it's much different from a cat or dog.

Thank you Esupi. I do hope it helps his leg, but if not, I hope it will help his arthritis. He's on 0.6mls twice a day, and looks much more comfortable since his dose was increased, but I don't want him to be on this high dose for long.

I can't work out how to do links on my phone. Try putting the words trevor and cart into the search :)

Fiver had his first session today. He flinched when the needles went in, but then he really relaxed. :thumb: He was even eating his hay! :shock: The vet went and got him some dandy leaves so he really enjoyed those. He wasn't even bothered about going back into his carrier. :lol:

I feel much happier now that I know he wasn't bothered at all by it. We were only in for about 20 mins, but the vet was excellent. I'm to half his pain relief and see how he goes and we are booked in next week for another session. If after 3 sessions there is no change, we will give it up as a bad job, but if it works, then he will go back every 2-3 weeks. Apparently the session is "expensive" the first time, but then the price drops down. :thumb: Sounds good to me!

I got the terrible trio out in the front room tonight. Fiver has been on the halved pain relief dose, since yesterday night. He has done nothing but happy flop and sprawl out. He is obviously feeling much, much more comfortable. It's very rare that he happy flops, but he's done it about 4 times tonight. I'm so happy I could cry. I hope this is sustained.

Great news, and amazing that it has worked so quickly! It worked wonders for my cat's arthritis although it took about 8 weeks before we started to think about reducing pain relief, but she'd been off it completely for about 18 months until the vet ended up going off sick with an injury back in the summer and isn't yet back at work! Fingers crossed Fiver continues to do well :D

I can't believe it either. It's been almost immediate. :shock: Last night he did a big happy flop but I just figured it was coincidence. I won't get my hopes up yet, just in case it doesn't last...but this seems much more effective than pain relief. :shock:

I have lots and lots of pictures. :lol:

Excellent news. Its such a shame not all practices offer it and so few people know it exists

I will post piccies up later on. I still have them out in the front room, and I'm not risking my camera usb! :lol:

Hugo's There: I agree. I would not have considered it, if not for reading about the successes on here. As far as I know, this vet is the only one in the area that does it for anything other than dogs and horses. It's all because Steph182's bird, Willow, got poorly that I found the other vet surgery who were good with bunnies! :lol:

I will post piccies up later on. I still have them out in the front room, and I'm not risking my camera usb! :lol:

Hugo's There: I agree. I would not have considered it, if not for reading about the successes on here. As far as I know, this vet is the only one in the area that does it for anything other than dogs and horses. It's all because Steph182's bird, Willow, got poorly that I found the other vet surgery who were good with bunnies! :lol:

Shame it was an expensive way to learn about it really :lol:

Glad hes doing well though :D

Back