• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photos of fox attack on rabbit accommodation (rabbits are fine, fortunately!)

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
First, I should probably point out that both bunnies are unharmed (phew!)and are now safely installed in the house while I work out what to do next. But it could have been so very different - so many lessons learnt in one day! I went to work as normal and arrived home to find that the rabbit's aviary had been attacked by a fox. In spite of quite spectacular efforts at ripping off protective plastic, prising off bits of wood, pulling out and breaking bits of mesh, pulling off the runaround tunnel and gnawing at the shed door, they failed to gain access, which I guess at least says something about my attempt at foxproofing! This all happened in broad daylight and we have wild rabbits in the garden, so I had thought that actually a fox probably wouldn't bother with mine when there are others so easily available!

Even if I had let my bunnies use the runaround/extra run unsupervised, I suspect I would now have no rabbits, as the fox had pulled the runaround out of its housing (the internal panel inside the aviary blocking access off was still in place). Lessons for me include (1) Don't leave bunnies unsupervised in ANYTHING that isn't foxproofed...including free range. It's not just free range that puts them at risk (although clearly it does), leaving them in anything unsupervised even if it looks vaguely secure is also a risk. (2) Ensure that all mesh is fixed firmly with nailed in u-nails at very regular intervals. Ideally double mesh, as by ripping off the wood, the fox managed to prise up one corner completely. Fortunately I had double meshed and the fox had failed to get through the second layer. (3) Foxes do and will come out during the day. This must have happened in broad daylight. (4) Don't rely on runaround tunnel fixings being secure especially, as in this case, if you use the ones where the fixings twist round to secure onto the run. I would have thought that the curved clamps on both sides of the tunnel would make it more secure. (5) Don't assume anything about fox behaviour and what they are likely/unlikely to do. Assume the worst and be prepared for it! I'm sure there are other lessons, please add if you think of any.

Here's what the accommodation looked like at the weekend:
054_zps84afc7d4.jpg

And here's what it looks like now...(bunnies are safely installed in our house until I work out what to do!)
057_zpsf503743e.jpg

063_zps8ab0242c.jpg

062_zps9391e5c4.jpg

Here you can see that various bits of wood have been prised off, including some of the uprights and the board along the bottom. The outer layer of mesh has also been ripped out of its staples. Fortunately, this aviary is double meshed and the inner mesh is fixed with staples and u-nails and they had not managed to get through this.
058_zps51abe9d4.jpg

064_zps1cad26f8.jpg

069_zps4fb93fa0.jpg

The runaround tunnel had been attached when I went to work (albeit blocked off on the inside as I don't allow unsupervised use - fortunately!) The two twisty-clips that hold the runaround in place had both worked loose presumably due to lots of yanking and pulling...if you use these, I would suggest buying a couple more of the larger curved bracket pieces and permanently fixing the tube in place with those.
059_zps10b0a3bf.jpg

061_zpsf61934f6.jpg

Here you can see where it's scrabbled at the door and tried to break the door in. I think the bolt at the bottom is probably what prevented it from being able to get a grip on the corner and prise it open until the wood snapped. I also have a panel nailed to the inside of the door to provide a secondary layer of protection and to stop the bunnies from legging it when I open the door!
060_zpsb4a513ea.jpg

Christ :shock::shock:

That's incredible, the amount of damage and the fact your bunnies are safe and unscathed! One determined fox, by the looks of things.

Puts things into perspective, really. Definitely a good example of why foxproofing is so vital.

Oh my god I would not have thought a fox could do all that. Thank goodness your buns are ok. Are they shaken up?

Well done for your solid fox proofing, you have definitely saved your rabbits by being so thorough.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

:shock: oh my goodness, that all looks pretty horrific. So glad the bunnies are ok :thumb:

What a horrendous thing to come home to :shock: it must have been terrifying to see that and fear the worst, so relieved the bunnies are ok, I hope they're not too shaken up, foxes terrified me when mine were outdoors, I would've thought they were secure but after seeing this they were not :shock: I doubt a fox would get in the house but I always close the back door when I pop not the garden for hay/grass/twigs so one doesn't run in and get them!

thank goodness you fox proofed. :shock: i remember a fox leaving scratch marks down bisc and matts shed door. so scary. i had three bolts on the door and triple meshed the window. i hated them being outside. i was always so scared.

just another note - my friend had some rabbits in her garden in those cheap hutches you can get, and a fox managed to rip off the back of the hutches. sadly got the rabbits. :cry: so buying the best quality hutch is so important aswell.

are your rabbits ok? they must be so shaken up. :(

What a horrendous thing to come home to :shock: it must have been terrifying to see that and fear the worst, so relieved the bunnies are ok, I hope they're not too shaken up, foxes terrified me when mine were outdoors, I would've thought they were secure but after seeing this they were not :shock: I doubt a fox would get in the house but I always close the back door when I pop not the garden for hay/grass/twigs so one doesn't run in and get them!

we do this aswell. can't be too careful. :thumb:

Gosh :shock: I wouldn't have thought they had that kind of strength! It looks like a husky or something has been at it. Glad your buns are okay and hope you are too, that must've been such a shock!

Seeing that, I'm not sure my single-meshed hutch and run would stand up to it. I think my runaround would though, as I have the den connection kit which is different and the only way to get the rigid pipe out is to remove the fixings and then lift it upwards, so if you choose to replace the runaround I'd recommend that one. I'd probably contact runaround by the way, just so they are aware and can make improvements.

Thank you for sharing.

glad your bunnies are ok.
a fox leaves his/her poo by my doorstep daily. i know my rabbits need to move outside before i re-carpet the house. the garage is damp. i have no idea how I'm going to make an aviary fox-proof. will be interested in what you decide to do next.

That's crazy!
if i ever have bunnies outside then i will deffo be keeping these pics in mind!
good thing you had the second bolt!
how are they so strong? They always look so dainty.
glad the buns are safe xxx

I have always wondered whether runarounds were predator proof. They seem like a brilliant idea in terms of allowing bunnies access to runs but I envisioned something like this happening when met with a determined fox.

Foxes are coming up to cub season so will be more determined than usual to get at rabbits/ chickens/ other pets because they need extra food to feed their families. They can also jump 6 feet from standing and can scale 8-9 foot walls or fences if they are very determined and have footholds or the ability to scrabble up them. Also, just as an extra note, if they think that there is food somewhere they will keep coming back. With the hen rescues, if someone loses hens to a fox attack, they generally will not rehome any more hens to that person for at least six months in the hope that by then the fox will have hopefully moved on.

This goes to show that it pays to be really prepared! Glad that your bunnies are safe.

Last edited:
Horrifying. I know the damage a fox can do. Years ago one attempted to break into my rabbits accommodation that was right near our back door. It must have been there for a long time trying to break in but it was Sunshine screaming that woke me up. I ran outside and saw the fox run from the hutch and jump over the fence. My elderly girl had sadly died of shock. :( The fox had managed to move bricks, so no underestimating their strength.

I brought Sunshine in and re-secured the hutch, when we got him a new friend we moved them out a few weeks later thinking by then a fox wouldn't come back as there were no rabbits outside.

A few month later a fox managed to rip off Nancy's ear. Couldn't actually break in but somehow got hold of her ear and ripped it off from near the base. She was lucky to survive, although she needed two operations. After that they became permanent indoor bunnies.

That is terrifying :(

Does anyone have any suggestions for foxproofing sheds??i am not sure i want to allow my buns access to a run while im not here anymore.

Back