• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving Kids For A Week

TarpeyRabbit

Warren Scout
I'm going to Wales on Friday and having to leave my two bunny's with my in-laws. I'm really worried Jessica has a tumor on top of her bladder and is on oral medicine once every 3/4 days. She's been like this since January 2013 and is very healthy and happy. Although I took her to the vets today just for a general check up, the vet was very happy with her especially as she gave him a good kick in the stomach :oops: but I'm just terrified something will go wrong and I wont be with her.
I've left her before but with a lady down the road who runs a Bunny Boarding center (Nutwood Bunnies in Bedfordshire check it out). Don't get me wrong I do trust my in-laws but they do see her and Rhiley as 'Just Rabbits'.

Does anyone else get like this or am I over reacting?

If you don't think they will notice, or act quickly, if she took a bad turn, why don't you book them in at the normal boarding place? You'll struggle to enjoy your holiday if you are worrying out them.

You're not over-reacting. I hardly ever go away for this very reason, as I struggle finding someone I can trust with the rabbits, as Barney's condition means he could go downhill quickly.

I would but unfortunately I lost my job in December and didn't work there long enough for redundancy pay. I wouldn't go except im staying on my grandparents farm and the whole point in going is because my nan is really ill so we dont want to leave it any longer.
I would rather they go to Nutwood but we just need to watch money vey closely at the moment x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I would but unfortunately I lost my job in December and didn't work there long enough for redundancy pay. I wouldn't go except im staying on my grandparents farm and the whole point in going is because my nan is really ill so we dont want to leave it any longer.
I would rather they go to Nutwood but we just need to watch money vey closely at the moment x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

In that case, I would make a 'care pack' full of info for your inlaws, including an 'emergency' section and leave strict instructions to call you day or night if they exhibit any of those symptoms. Make sure to leave vet and emergency vet details. I'd also text/call for an update daily and ask questions so you can tell how they are doing. I also tend to pre-measure and portion any food or medicine that can be measured in advance, both to help people out and prevent them getting it wrong. If they don't have much experience with rabbits I'd probably ask them to not feed anything that you haven't provided, it saves having to write them a list of what they can and can't have, and prevents them making mistakes like lettuce, poisonous garden plants, potato peelings etc, or even just large amounts of fruit and carrot that could cause issues.

Also, make sure you really impress upon them the importance of the bunnies to you, and that you would be devastated if anything happened to them - would be a good idea to get your OH to reaffirm this to them too. This way, even if they do think they are 'just rabbits', hopefully they will look after them carefully for your sake.

And remember, you're just in Wales. If there was an emergency, you could get back if needed, so try not to worry.

Thank you.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back I've thankfully been going back and forth to Job interviews.

I have taken your advice and written a list of instructions for them. They are typical grandparents and spoil them with over feeding. No matter how many times I tell them, I end up being the bad person. I've spoken to OH (by the way took me ages to work out what that meant 'Palm in Face') he said he'll talk to them.

Thank you again for your advice I really appreciate it.

Thank you.

That was the longest week of my life. Lovely to see my grandparents but sad as my nan is in a stage of Demeter that is more noticeable. Don't get me wrong she's in a good place still as her long term memory is better than mine just her short term is almost none exsistant. sad to see.

Glade to be back with my kiddies though.

Back