• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would You Try to Save a Newborn Kit Who Has Just ONE Leg ?

the breeders (dirty word, i know) from whom i got m+t explained to us that sometimes kits with 'horrible deformities' had to be swiftly despatched. they were a caring couple, and i took their word for it.

The fact he is being taken from the nest for photos is awful too. One has him wedged between the ears of a toy rabbit :(

I am sure some people don't give a stuff about their pets welfare they just want it to be an online celebrity.

None of our rabbits are ever made to pose for photos and they are all adults.....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

If the kit was already dying then I wouldn't try save it (unless it looked like it was really suffering), there are far too many healthy bunnies that need caring for, so as harsh as it sounds I don't see the point in trying to save a rabbit that's not going to have a great start in life

Yes, I would. I don't think there's anything wrong in trying, even though you'll likely fail. It's not as if the rabbit is actually suffering, it's in the future the rabbit will suffer as a result of only one leg.

who knows, maybe there's some kind of rabbit 'wheelchair' that could be used so the rabbit could move around. But that doesn't even matter at this point, a newborn rabbit isn't going to be doing a lot of moving around.

ETA: I can't believe not a single person would save it?! I know it's difficult because it's hard to decide whether it is happy or suffering, but still.... it's a kit that should be given a chance as long as it isn't suffering. I don't think other rabbits needing homes etc should play a part, it's not as if the person is going to go out and adopt a rabbit to replace the kit anyway.

Last edited:
Think id try to raise the baby to move around on 3 legs, im sure it would still be mobile, but if the bunny was suffering I would reconsider. As long as the bunny was happy and otherwise healthy I would help it :D

Yes, I would. I don't think there's anything wrong in trying, even though you'll likely fail. It's not as if the rabbit is actually suffering, it's in the future the rabbit will suffer as a result of only one leg.

who knows, maybe there's some kind of rabbit 'wheelchair' that could be used so the rabbit could move around. But that doesn't even matter at this point, a newborn rabbit isn't going to be doing a lot of moving around.

ETA: I can't believe not a single person would save it?! I know it's difficult because it's hard to decide whether it is happy or suffering, but still.... it's a kit that should be given a chance as long as it isn't suffering. I don't think other rabbits needing homes etc should play a part, it's not as if the person is going to go out and adopt a rabbit to replace the kit anyway.

My personal opinion is that being in a wheelchair type thing, right from day one, would be unfair. I can't even really picture how a rabbit would move around - it'd really struggle, especially when you think about how dependent normal bunnies are on their four legs, I can't imagine how a rabbit would move on one!

I just feel that it'd be so limiting, all that kit knowing is having one leg and not being able to hop normally, binky, clean, periscope etc. :(

It might not be aware now but in a few weeks how is it going to feel when it sees its litter mates binkying about and it can barely move? How frustrated will it feel? You have to think of its psychological suffering as well as the physical.

As for a cart, it will have to be a whole lot older for that which leaves months for it to just lay their. I don't even see how a cart would work as there is no way it will have the strength in one leg to pull itself along.

You are right, what other rabbits are out there is irrelevant in my eyes too. The decisions made for the bunny should be based purely on that rabbits needs

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Back