• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grandparents

Domino27

Mama Doe
Folks are going to be looking after Mr F for me whilst I enjoy my rare weekend off work. Now they're being typical "grandparents", dad keeps giving him treats, I.e bits of fruit and veg every time he goes into the kitchen so this has got to the point where he is obviously following my dad from room to room now.

Heard chopping in the kitchen and asked him what he's given him "a bit of apple". Went to check and there was half a Small ramekin of chopped up apple bits. A bit of apple to me is literally a bit, I.e a 1cm cube size. I've told them a million times over to stop giving him treats and lots of them at that but if I do he gets in a strop and then I end up having to cancel plans and take him home coz we've had a massive barny.

Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Anyone with any advice???!!!

No great advice but maybe a video or a list to demonstrate the consequences of it?? I used to give DM & P a whole chopped apple per night before knowing what a good diet consisted of, needless to say, P got so fat she couldn't eat her caecals anymore and had a mucky bum to the point where the vet had to shave it off including her tail! I'll see if I can find anything to help x

Yep he's had a mucky rear before when here, the last time I put it down to him being ill and grieving for his partner but some of it was down to "awww look at how cute he is, poor guy, let's give him a treat" I.e carrot.

My mum isn't too bad, ive managed to curb her giving him half the pellet bag each day when she feeds him (it's winter, they need extra.....No mum, extra hay!!!!!!!) my dad is a different matter and it doesn't matter what I tell him or show him he just gets in a strop, tells me to look after him (erm, I am doing - usually stop over for a day or two so Mr F gets settled so I look after him during that time) and an argument starts.

No wonder he binks and jumps around here like there's no tomorrow, I thought it was because there's carpet everywhere so he has grip...

Suggest treat hay...or give him the vet bill the next time he has an upset tum.

Sadly, but obviously good, other than these ear mites he's never had any other issues (touch wood etc etc etc), nothing phases him and he LOVES his food no matter what he's been through or travelled to. Typical bloke, stomach of steel.

People really don't seem to understand the sensitivities of a rabbits tummy. I once had a friend feed my two, I said very clearly an eggcup of pellets each, please don't give them more as they won't eat their hay etc etc, left the eggcup in the pellet bag for easy measuring. Came back to an almost full bowl of pellets so she must have been giving them a full bowl every day!

Sorry don't really know what the answer is except perhaps a print out on GI stasis and explain to them that it can be caused by not sticking to the diet you give them.

Maybe you could take some treats with you that he could have quite a bit of (like fibafirst and fresh herbs), or portion up things like carrot or apple in advance, and ask your dad to give him snacks from his allowance? You could also try adding his pellet rations to his "allowance" so your parents have something else to treat him with.

The one and only time I had to leave my buns with my sister looking after them I left her a bag of Timothy hay saying that it was a treat for them to have this ( not quite true as they have some everyday but would expect a bag to last about a week and a half) came home to a nearly empty bag after only 3 days away as she had been treating them so much but not a real problem as it was hay she was over feeding them so maybe try this.

Back