• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit lying with front leg fully extended

katie88

Mama Doe
Has anyone else ever seen a rabbit doing this? Marbles has only been doing it since she's been unwell (head tilt/nystagmus/ear infection) so in the beginning I thought it might have been to stabilise herself when she was feeling wobbly. But she is fine with her balance now and her head tilt has pretty much gone, so I'm not sure.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but it does look very unnatural, almost like she's injured her foot but she's had no problems hopping around or jumping. It's always just that one leg :?

Is it more extended than this?? I've seen daisy sit like this quite a bit.
image_zpsb3c00778.jpg

When Biff and Bram stretch they sometimes lay with a leg extended for a while, I just presumed it was because they'd stretched then settled down again.
None of their paws are injured as they hop about completely fine and are full of binkys.

I'd say it is normal. Yesterday I watched Minnie sleep with both front and back legs fully extended :love:

Is it more extended than this?? I've seen daisy sit like this quite a bit.
image_zpsb3c00778.jpg

It's a lot more extended than that. It literally looks like she's stretching right out as far as she can and then just keeping it there! P.s. daisy is beautiful!

Thanks all for the reassurance. I think I have become a bit jittery since marbles has been ill, I'm worrying about everything :?

Absolutely normal :) this is a regular sleeping position for both mine, either with one or both legs put :D

(Not good quality at all, taken on my phone with a broken camera!)

Yes, it's not outside the realms of normal but weird bunny sleeping positions :) I would guess your probably right that originally it helped her balance better, I imagine it's probably just habit now or she's decided it's comfy :)

Yes, it's not outside the realms of normal but weird bunny sleeping positions :) I would guess your probably right that originally it helped her balance better, I imagine it's probably just habit now or she's decided it's comfy :)

Thank you :)

Harvey does it too, quite often. He sits in loaf position but with feet sticking out like tulsi's peaches. I call it child pose as it reminds me of the yoga position.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

After reading this, Amy sat next to me on the couch as a loaf and extended her paw. I think she's picking things up from here!

As an aside to funny bunny sleeping positions: she now loafs on top of her wooden house. It's kinda small, gonna build another one soon, but she could easily loaf inside, yet prefers to sleep on top. The really hilarious thing is that the chinchilla, Kurt, whom deserves a category all to himself for weird sleeping positions, would sleep for months on top of, or sometimes behind, the house in his cage, almost never inside; but he stopped sometime before I got Amy, sleeping on the shelves or on the floor! I sometimes catch them flopped in the same way, or drinking at the same time, silly creatures.

Harvey does it too, quite often. He sits in loaf position but with feet sticking out like tulsi's peaches. I call it child pose as it reminds me of the yoga position.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

It is exactly like child's pose! :lol: Except marbles only does it with one leg so it's wonky child's pose!

Awww. Hello Rosie. You look very cute x

She's a little monster - she's chewed a hole in her run last night so she free ranged around a room that's not ready for her yet & so is definitely not bunny friendly :shock:

I'm still working on gaining her trust, hence why there hasn't been a picture thread yet. I only have a couple of poor quality ones where I've had to zoom in on my phone to avoid getting too close & disturb her. Tonight I managed to for her a quick nose rub whist hand feeding her a baby carrot though so yay, progress! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back