• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do we read into our rabbits' facial expressions/actions too much?

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
When I say we I really mean do I, and I'm hoping I'm not the only one :lol:

I got accused of this earlier, Lilly picked up a delicious looking piece of hay and I saw her whole body relax and her eyes went squinty, and I said "awwwhhhh she's enjoying that piece of hay so much she's closing her eyes in pleasure" :love: I was then told I read too much into what the bunnies do :lol:

I suppose I probably do give them too many human emotions, but oh well! I love it when they pull confused expressions and I think of the monologue that might be going through their minds :lol: I know, I know, they are probably pulling that face and just thinking "don't understand.... don't understand.... don't understand..... can I eat it?" :lol:

Anyone else put human emotion and thoughts into their rabbits actions and expressions?

I mean you can see by their eyes what theyre thinking.

i always know when bailey is going to do something naughty, as he gets a glint in his eye, mischief!
and i can always tell when there enjoying something super yummy.

i think whoever said that has just not spent enough time around your buns to know their body language and personalities etc :)

I mean you can see by their eyes what theyre thinking.

i always know when bailey is going to do something naughty, as he gets a glint in his eye, mischief!
and i can always tell when there enjoying something super yummy.

i think whoever said that has just not spent enough time around your buns to know their body language and personalities etc :)

He's my housemate, and he spends a lot of time with the bunnies, and he definitely knows that they have facial expressions, he was telling me earlier that Harvey was about the do something naughty just before he walked in and ran back to the hutch annoyed when he noticed he was being watched :lol: so even he reads into their expressions! :p

Harvey definitely gets the cheeky glint in his eyes and holds his ears in a specific way when he's thinking of being naughty! It's so funny because he just gives his intentions away with that one look :lol:

My Beano is such a loving bun, he has this really soppy look in his eyes when he looks at the others sometimes :love:

Not a bunny, but my male goat is going through a Kevin the teenager stage at the moment ( he is castrated though) and I know when he's got this sort of weird look in his eye he's going to try to ram me :lol:

And last night I had my cat on my knee for ages he wanted a good fuss, then all of a sudden I said to my OH "he's going to have me in a minute" because he glared at me (the cat not my OH :lol:) and then he grabbed my arm with his claws and bit me :shock::evil:

My Beano is such a loving bun, he has this really soppy look in his eyes when he looks at the others sometimes :love:

Not a bunny, but my male goat is going through a Kevin the teenager stage at the moment ( he is castrated though) and I know when he's got this sort of weird look in his eye he's going to try to ram me :lol:

And last night I had my cat on my knee for ages he wanted a good fuss, then all of a sudden I said to my OH "he's going to have me in a minute" because he glared at me (the cat not my OH :lol:) and then he grabbed my arm with his claws and bit me :shock::evil:

:lol: a teenage goat sounds very funny, although not so funny to be on the end of that teenage angst!!!

Definitely sounds as though reading pets expressions is something commonly done and I'm not that weird :p

Harvey pulled a funny expression at me, I was sat on the sofa, he periscoped so his nose was about six inches from my hand, and just stared at me.... for over a minute he stood like that, I waved at him, spoke to him, and even poked him on the nose and he stayed :shock: I have no idea what he was thinking..... but I've been on edge ever since.... I think he was plotting :shock:

I like it when they are so happy they close their eyes whilst munching :love:

He's my housemate, and he spends a lot of time with the bunnies, and he definitely knows that they have facial expressions, he was telling me earlier that Harvey was about the do something naughty just before he walked in and ran back to the hutch annoyed when he noticed he was being watched :lol: so even he reads into their expressions! :p

Harvey definitely gets the cheeky glint in his eyes and holds his ears in a specific way when he's thinking of being naughty! It's so funny because he just gives his intentions away with that one look :lol:

:lol:
He must be teasing you then :p

I love their smushy faces and all the different looks I get :lol:

I also love to see the naughty bum wiggles that get done before somebun digs somewhere they shouldn't!! :lol:

:lol:
He must be teasing you then :p

I love their smushy faces and all the different looks I get :lol:

I also love to see the naughty bum wiggles that get done before somebun digs somewhere they shouldn't!! :lol:

Yeh the naughty bum wiggles and the full blown naughty binkies if they've done something REALLY bad :lol: it's so funny!

I love how their ear positions change depending on what is on their minds, Lilly does some amusing positions! Harvey as a lop can't do them, but I can see the base of his ears move slightly as he obviously is still using the same muscles thinking he is pulling these expressions but actually failing :lol:

:lol: a teenage goat sounds very funny, although not so funny to be on the end of that teenage angst!!!

Definitely sounds as though reading pets expressions is something commonly done and I'm not that weird :p

Harvey pulled a funny expression at me, I was sat on the sofa, he periscoped so his nose was about six inches from my hand, and just stared at me.... for over a minute he stood like that, I waved at him, spoke to him, and even poked him on the nose and he stayed :shock: I have no idea what he was thinking..... but I've been on edge ever since.... I think he was plotting :shock:

I like it when they are so happy they close their eyes whilst munching :love:

Yes he is funny, I just stamp my feet at him and say no in a loud voice, and then he stops mid leap/charge and trys not to look embarrassed and annoyed with me :lol: then I go and give him a fuss.

No you're definitely not weird :D

Yes he is funny, I just stamp my feet at him and say no in a loud voice, and then he stops mid leap/charge and trys not to look embarrassed and annoyed with me :lol: then I go and give him a fuss.

No you're definitely not weird :D

Woo!! :lol:

My mum does it too, I was on the phone earlier and the dog started doing his talking (yes he does a weird whiney talky thing) in the background and mum turned away and said "don't you dare talk to me in that tone of voice, you wait til I'm off the phone" and then turned back to me like nothing happened :lol: most of our phone conversations are her talking to the dog tbh :lol:

Little has two facial epressions: 'asleep' and the one I call 'idiot rabbit is about to ruin everything' face.

Ted has two also: 'aslee'p and 'quite cross'.

Little has two facial epressions: 'asleep' and the one I call 'idiot rabbit is about to ruin everything' face.

Lilly has her normal asleep expression but also a shocked sleeping expression, which makes me laugh, she is always mid dream with that one and wakes up with a stomp so I just assume it was a nightmare!

I can just imagine the "idiot rabbit about to ruin everything look" :lol:

Lilly's best expression is her listening face :lol: it's usually because I've just mentioned dinner and she stops and stares at me with this anticipatory expression and her ears poised, waiting for me to say it again, if I do it usually means a binky or a mad dash around the room is about to occur! She's such a foodie!

Loving this thread, I've got so many mental images running through my head now :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little also sometimes only blinks one eye. With hay hanging out her little gob. Makes her look like the village idiot :lol:

Awwww poor Little lol :)

I know when Daisy doesn't love me no more I just get bum to the face and also the other day she was sat on my couch looked at me give me the stink eye lifted her tail and wee'd on my couch!!

I think we absolutely, 100% do. But it's natural to anthropomorphise your pets and other companion animals; and since it leads to closer bonds and quicker identification of illness, I say anthropomorphise away! :D

I do this too :lol:
I was sat on the couch earlier with bella and I swear she gave me a really dirty look for atleast two minutes because I tried to move her :lol:

And my favorite expression is when I shake the tub of pellets in the morning and their ears move and they become all alert, binky even binkies some mornings:lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back