• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Non messy litter for house bunnies

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I'm using megazorb at the moment, but they have only been inside for one day and it's driving me crazy already. I've just found some in my bed :? I didn't realise how much it sticks to Scarlett's fur! She is getting it everywhere and then it's sticking to us and Smirnoff and being walked around the entire house

Is there anything similar I can use which won't stick to a fluffy lion head so much?

I know I can't avoid mess with bunnies inside, but she is literally coming out of her trays absolutely covered in the stuff and once you get it all over you it's really hard to get off :lol:

Mine are outside buns, but I use wood pellet litter, used to buy the stuff meant for cats but just discovered they do it in bigger cheaper bags for horses, and it never comes out of the tray. It's extremely absorbent too :thumb:

I just use newspaper and hay. They hay gets everywhere anyway! I wear slippers round my house now because otherwise it sticks to my socks and gets dragged round the house, I find most of it is contained in the living room now at least!

I have the same problem with megazorb it gets stuck I'm Bears bum fluff :lol:
I just cover it with a thick layer of hay and it stays put.
Carefresh is the absolute best I've found for being tidy, it's big chunk so doesn't move anywhere and super absorbant, only problem is the price!

I also use wood pellet litter, my Hollie chews loads of things but never eats that.

I tried Megazorb and it was annoying how much it stuck to buns and socks and ended up everywhere!

Is it safe for them to eat? I think my two would just start munching it all, although they don't bother with the newspaper they do like anything wood!

Dandy and Beano were confirmed chewers when they were as a pair in their hutch/run (wood,plastic etc :roll:) but they never ate the wood pellet litter :thumb: they don't chew at all actually now they are in a quad in the shed/aviary run now I come to think of it.

Newspaper straw and hay here but I do still find hay in my bed! Outdoor wabbits indoor guinea pigs.

Last edited:
How about fitch? Nice and soft an absorbent but shouldn't stick to fluffy bums!

I use puppy pads, it makes cleaning out such a diddle, I have to do it more often but it takes literally seconds, none of my guys have ever tried eating them either.

Newspaper and hay here too :D works fine but hay does get everywhere obviously! The most annoying thing is getting enough newspaper! But Mum and Dad have a daily subscription so they aren't allowed to throw any papers out and they just give it all to me whenever I see them :lol:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will look into wood based litter :wave:

I know, it just gets everywhere and it's really difficult to clean up! I had to take my sweater into the garden and like try to brush it off before after she jumped on me from her tray :shock: I have been covering it with a layer of hay but Scarlett's a digger. Carefresh is great, but it's a bit expensive to fill multiple storage boxes with :( I don't find newspaper very absorbent to be honest

I don't mind a bit of mess, obviously I expect hay to get everywhere anyways, just don't want litter that's sticking to her that badly and then is difficult to clean up!

I have used fitch before and agree that it is a good absorbant bedding that doesnt stick to fluffy rabbits.

PAH wood litter pellets in the cat section (also safe for small pets!) 2 big bags for £19 and very easy to clean as it soaks everything up so it doesn't stick to the tray!

I love Yesterday's News, the paper-based litter, that doesn't get anywhere and is great at keeping smells down. Smartbedz was even better for smell and was ridiculously absorbant, but the buns decided that it tastes nice :roll:

Wood pellet litter is okay but not quite as good with smell and also I do worry a bit about the phenols, as it is often from the same wood and has the same smell as shavings.

Newspaper is great, but for buns that wee a lot it's not the best at keeping smells down.

I love Yesterday's News, the paper-based litter, that doesn't get anywhere and is great at keeping smells down. Smartbedz was even better for smell and was ridiculously absorbant, but the buns decided that it tastes nice :roll:

Wood pellet litter is okay but not quite as good with smell and also I do worry a bit about the phenols, as it is often from the same wood and has the same smell as shavings.

Newspaper is great, but for buns that wee a lot it's not the best at keeping smells down.

There is no phenol problem with wood pellets, only pine shavings. The wood pellets are "kiln dried" this process removes phenols and makes even pine wood safe.

I always use wood pellets, as they smelt the least and stayed put the best.

Thanks guys!

Not sure I've heard of fitch, but I will deffo look into it and the other recommendations on here :wave: hopefully I will be able to get some of them locally

Back