• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

With or without hay rack ?

luna

Mama Doe
I'm just wondering how many people don't use a hay rack and put the hay directly in the litter box ? I currently use two large litter boxes with the ikea plastic bag holder as a Hay rack but Bobby digs all the hay out within a couple of hours anyway.

I was considering purchasing the jumbo catit litter box for them which has a cover as I feel it would contain the mess better and look more neat in my set up. Only thing is I won't be able to attach a Hay rack. Is this okay? They get fresh Hay twice a day :)

I already have the normal sized catit litter box so know that they don't have a problem with hooded litter boxes once the flap is removed :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I use both. But mine are in a hutch/run outside. If they were inside I don't think I'd bother with the hayrack, I think they prefer the hay in their litter tray anyway :)

I think most people don't use hay racks, just putting the hay in the litter tray, but my four must be different :roll: as they won't eat hay that has even hit the litter tray :lol: they eat far more hay with racks, I'm using these at the moment for hay http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-Under-Shelf-Storage-Basket/001433657,default,pd.html, hooked over the back of a high backed recycling box like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strata-Recycling-Crate-Green-HW340/dp/B0031YJNFK, (I got mine from B&Q for £2 as they were missing the lids, which of course I didn't need anyway :lol:

Mine have always only had their hay in their little trays (I use the larger little trays with the small rim/hood as it made the world of difference with mess almost nothing goes over board now :lol:)
I think this is because in my area there are no hay racks that are suitable for rabbits and I'd have to DIY one which I've never gotten around too.. I have a few treat balls and stuff various toys with hay but ultimately they will eat most of the hay in the little boxes before touching these (there probably would be more wasted hay without using a hay rack I would imagine?)

Mine have hay in hay racks and litter trays, but they eat from the hay racks. Apart from Leo and Kerbie, I did try a hay rack with them but it was completely ignored.

I just put it in their litter tray, they've always had it like that and they eat loads of hay :D I do have a massive litter tray, it's a 4 foot by 2 foot base from an indoor hutch so I can fit LOADS in :D normally I like to plonk hay on top of Harvey and bury him in it, he just sits there delighted and eats until he can see day light again and Lilly will lay next to him and munch away lazily :lol:

They often flop and sleep in their litter tray, so if I used a hay rack they'd be laying in wee, with the amount of hay in the tray though it means they're laying on hay as the wee has fallen through it and soaked into the newspaper below :)

I just put it in their litter tray, they've always had it like that and they eat loads of hay :D I do have a massive litter tray, it's a 4 foot by 2 foot base from an indoor hutch so I can fit LOADS in :D normally I like to plonk hay on top of Harvey and bury him in it, he just sits there delighted and eats until he can see day light again and Lilly will lay next to him and munch away lazily :lol:

They often flop and sleep in their litter tray, so if I used a hay rack they'd be laying in wee, with the amount of hay in the tray though it means they're laying on hay as the wee has fallen through it and soaked into the newspaper below :)

Mine flop in their litter trays too. I put loads of hay on top of newspaper and carefresh. I've tried hay racks but they're totally ignored. I use a piece of guttering as a trough in their run and fill that with hay too, usually a treat hay from the Hay Experts. The current favourite is Deans Meadow hay. They still up end it though and eat it off the floor. I think they're just slobs, eating off the floor and on the toilet.:lol::lol:

Mine have both and seem to use both equally so they clearly like having the option. :roll::lol:

Thanks for all the replies. Everyone has been really helpful as always :)

I ended up taking out the hay rack yesterday and put in the hooded litter box and they are using it fine.

I find myself not knowing how much Hay to put down though now the rack is gone. I have ordered the jumbo sized catit litter box from zooplus so it should be here in a few days :)

I just give mine two casserole dishes of hay, but they have a hay rack outside and don't seem to use it much!

Mine have straw in their litter tray, rather than hay, but they have access to hay so it doesn't really matter!

I just give mine two casserole dishes of hay, but they have a hay rack outside and don't seem to use it much!

Mine have straw in their litter tray, rather than hay, but they have access to hay so it doesn't really matter!

Do you find the hay ends up everywhere ? I hate mess so that's why I am using the covered litter box. It seems good for containing the hay. So far anyway, it's only been one day so they could still prove me wrong. Lol !

Do you find the hay ends up everywhere ? I hate mess so that's why I am using the covered litter box. It seems good for containing the hay. So far anyway, it's only been one day so they could still prove me wrong. Lol !

I hate the mess as well, even though it's their shed!
Mine aren't massive hay eaters and they have access to grass everyday, so they don't really make much mess. I even give them two types of hay, to see if they were just being picky, but they still hardly eat any. :roll:

Mine have hay in the bedding area and in a rack and small litter tray in the hutch and in a large litter tray, small hay ball and stuffed in a grass house and the pick where they eat from.

Back