• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The RSPCA, things you should know

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, thanks for reading.
There are posts on here from time to time criticising what the RSPCA do or don't do so I thought I would share what I think.
Some people think of the RSPCA as the animal police, and expect them to act like the police, but in reality, as far as I know, their inspectors have no more legal powers than you or I. They have no legal powers to break into people's property or cars etc. I dare say they may do the latter in a situation where an animals life was in imminent danger, but generally, they have to apply for a warrant from the courts, via the police I think, to be able to do anything.
Their officers do not have legal powers to seize an animal from someone, no matter how it is being treated, that's why they need to get people to 'sign their animals over' to them.
What we need is a petition to give the RSPCA more powers to act. They should be able to enter peoples property including cars where an animals life is in danger. They should be able to seize animals if they need to, not rely on the bad owners co-operation!
Yes they can take people to court, but this takes too long, is very expensive, and the punishment dished out by the judges in my opinion does not fit the crime.
They are a charity. And before people criticise in the future, I think they should remember the above points, and also ask themselves, what do you do to help the RSPCA be there for animals that need them. What do you do to help?

Last edited:
I personally would suggest that making sweeping statements such as 'we all' invalidates the direction you are coming from because there are many if us here who know exactly how they work.

That said, I do agree that the Inspectorate need more powers AND more training. I also think additional supervision and support would be potentially useful too because they see horrific things.

I also think that there are some exemplary branches around and those branches could do with some extra support to allow them to teach the inadequate (and sometimes neglectful) branches how to look after their animals. I think there needs to be an RSPCA wide set of rehoming rules and care guidelines too.

As got what do I do to help? Nothing these days but for many years I was heavily, heavily involved but had to leave due to the extreme neglect and lack if thinking about the animals that I was fighting and the only option I was left with was to collate and put in a very large formal complaint about all the neglect I witnessed. It changed some things but, from all I've found out since, not enough. And that breaks my heart.

I will always always support those people who do a wonderful job for they animals, like RSPCA Walsall, or East Winch but I won't ever support neglect, no matter who it comes from.

Hi sky-o,
Thanks for responding. Point taken about the 'we all', I'll edit my original post (if I can do that).
It sounds like you have a lot of inside knowledge and have found and tried to tackle problems where they exist. Good for you. I agree, that neglect shouldn't be tolerated wherever it is found, especially not from those who are supposed to uphold animal welfare. I'm not saying the RSPCA are without fault.
It's just that I don't think some people appreciate the limits and restrictions under which the inspectors have to operate, and criticise them for not acting in situations where the reality is they can't act rather than won't act.

but whenever i have had personal contact with the rspca, i have found them uncaring and money-grabbing. they show little concern for the suffering of animals in daily life.

they take people to court because that is their main interest - gaining publicity by addressing shocking cases. by gaining publicity, they prompt donations.

what proportion of their income is donated by well-meaning individuals? and what proportion is spent on administration? what is the highest salary paid to a member of their organisation? those are the 'things you should know'. just because an organisation is registered as a 'charity' does not mean it operates with charitable intentions or outcomes.

I personally would suggest that making sweeping statements such as 'we all' invalidates the direction you are coming from because there are many if us here who know exactly how they work.

That said, I do agree that the Inspectorate need more powers AND more training. I also think additional supervision and support would be potentially useful too because they see horrific things.

I also think that there are some exemplary branches around and those branches could do with some extra support to allow them to teach the inadequate (and sometimes neglectful) branches how to look after their animals. I think there needs to be an RSPCA wide set of rehoming rules and care guidelines too.

As got what do I do to help? Nothing these days but for many years I was heavily, heavily involved but had to leave due to the extreme neglect and lack if thinking about the animals that I was fighting and the only option I was left with was to collate and put in a very large formal complaint about all the neglect I witnessed. It changed some things but, from all I've found out since, not enough. And that breaks my heart.

I will always always support those people who do a wonderful job for they animals, like RSPCA Walsall, or East Winch but I won't ever support neglect, no matter who it comes from.

Totally agree with you Sky-O and happybun, add another here who is fully aware of how the RSPCA works. Have only ever had a few dealings with them when I lived in Oxford but they were enough to make me glad I wouldn't have to deal with them again after moving home.

I also have to say, they are only a registered charity like many on here, should we all have the right to gain access to a home or seize an animal.
They can easily get access if the contact the police and an officer attends. From what I hear many people here have a full understanding of the limitations they are restricted by, but more often it's the fact some branches do not attend in the first place. ( I include the SSPCA in this too.)

Hi sky-o,
Thanks for responding. Point taken about the 'we all', I'll edit my original post (if I can do that).
It sounds like you have a lot of inside knowledge and have found and tried to tackle problems where they exist. Good for you. I agree, that neglect shouldn't be tolerated wherever it is found, especially not from those who are supposed to uphold animal welfare. I'm not saying the RSPCA are without fault.
It's just that I don't think some people appreciate the limits and restrictions under which the inspectors have to operate, and criticise them for not acting in situations where the reality is they can't act rather than won't act.

Sorry I sort of jumped in all RAWR, for which I apologise. I've seen both the absolute best and the absolute worst of the RSPCA, and feel very strongly about both sides.

I used to work with an Inspector and had so much respect for him. He could be nicey nicey to get results, or he would be hard and push, depending on what the situation needed at the time. He used to bring me in to situations involving rabbits where something needed to be done or changed or the rabbits rehomed and he always supported what I said and he always, always did the best for the animals.

They have a very difficult job. But, I do completely agree things need to change, but not just with the RSPCA, with animal welfare in general- once it changes in general, then there will be so much more scope for helping.

but whenever i have had personal contact with the rspca, i have found them uncaring and money-grabbing. they show little concern for the suffering of animals in daily life.

they take people to court because that is their main interest - gaining publicity by addressing shocking cases. by gaining publicity, they prompt donations.

what proportion of their income is donated by well-meaning individuals? and what proportion is spent on administration? what is the highest salary paid to a member of their organisation? those are the 'things you should know'. just because an organisation is registered as a 'charity' does not mean it operates with charitable intentions or outcomes.

Unfortunately, that is the case with a lot of charities - didn't Oxfam get some stick over their administrative costs? People have to be paid to do their jobs - but it should be a reasonable amount (in line with non-charitable organisations).

Back