• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wire under run?

jo_d

New Kit
Hello everyone

I am fairly new to this forum and find it so useful. I have 2 lovely bunnies, Toffee and Dexter. I only got Dexter in October so they have had their run on the patio since. This week was his first time on the grass and it seems he is a digger. Never had a bunny who digs before so was a bit of a shock and not quite sure what to do. I have just ordered a new 8ft run to attach with runaround to my other run, the plan was to have the smaller run on patio and larger run on the grass. I have heard mixed things about putting wire under the run, do i need to bury it ( I wanted to be able to move it around really). Also what size wire is best. Really confused and rather frustrated, I was so excited about the new run coming but just not sure what to do for the best :/

Jo

With grass runs normally people put wire mesh down then turf over the top, if you use wire on top of the grass then the bunnies could hurt their feet or even get them caught in the mesh. It would only work if your lawn was very flat and the mesh sat flush with the ground, but in reality this just doesn't seem to happen. If you don't mesh the run you run the risk of them digging out or predators digging in. I would use weldmesh 16g or 19g thickness.

I wouldn't advise meshing under the run unless it was sunk under the turf because, as you realise, the mesh can hurt their feet. They don't have to be on grass - you could perhaps leave them as they are on your patio?

Back