• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits drank milk - advice please

Bess&George

Warren Scout
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has any advice.. My bunnies always have the run of our kitchen when we're out and today when we were gone they decided it was time to chew some holes into one of the long life milk bottles (plastic, not cardboard) we had stacked on the kitchen floor. Think they have managed to drink almost half a pint of milk between themselves!!! :shock: Are they likely to have some issues from it, should I maybe just feed them some hay today and no veg? One of them is on baytril at the moment, should I skip tonight's dose just in case? They are large rabbits weighing 3.5-4kg, they both seem fine if not in fact quite pleased with themselves at the moment.

We have always stored the milk on the kitchen floor along with some fizzy water bottles and it has never been an issue so why today I don't know.:roll:

Thanks!xx

Last edited:
Well I cannot imagine the milk will do them any long term damage - after all they are mammals.

It is common to feed baby buns goats milk I think and I can't immediately think of why cows milk would be poisonous.

However, as with any unusual foods, they could get an upset tummy. I'd certainly feed lots of hay and keep a close eye for anything unusual tummy-wise.

As to the Baytril, I've no idea other than to say I'd not miss a dose of antibiotic for any reason really.

:wave:

Phone the vet and ask, I have a feeling that cows milk is bad for pretty much everything that isn't a calf! I know it's always goats milk fed to baby buns/cats ect because cows milk is so bad for them.

i know it's meant to be really bad for babies, so probably adults aswell. i would also be ringing the vets :wave:

I agree I'd certainly ring the vet.

I have to say, I think there is a difference between "not good for them or long term harmful" and "poisonous or toxic" so I'd be sure to ask the vet those two questions. We all know you aren't going to make a habit of feeding milk!

What I mean is, please don't panic! :thumb:

Thanks everyone.:wave:

My usual vet is already closed and I got put through to the emergency one, they said it might give them diarrhoea but otherwise it should hopefully be ok. Nothing you can do now anyway, just to keep an eye on them and only feed them hay and water for the next 24 hours. Was stressing so much that I actually forgot to ask about the baytril.:roll:

Gosh these two are so troublesome, just a few months ago they managed to get access to their bag of pellets one night and helped themselves to a month's worth in one sitting. They've also stolen biscuits from my toddler's hands, eaten her petit filous, chocolate with wrapper, cheese and once I caught one of them eating chicken on the dining table from a plate that had been left unattended for a moment. They are so greedy it's incredible!

Sounds like they should be OK, thankfully. I would try to get them to take in more water than usual to try to flush it out of their system.

Thanks everyone.:wave:

My usual vet is already closed and I got put through to the emergency one, they said it might give them diarrhoea but otherwise it should hopefully be ok. Nothing you can do now anyway, just to keep an eye on them and only feed them hay and water for the next 24 hours. Was stressing so much that I actually forgot to ask about the baytril.:roll:

Gosh these two are so troublesome, just a few months ago they managed to get access to their bag of pellets one night and helped themselves to a month's worth in one sitting. They've also stolen biscuits from my toddler's hands, eaten her petit filous, chocolate with wrapper, cheese and once I caught one of them eating chicken on the dining table from a plate that had been left unattended for a moment. They are so greedy it's incredible!

That's good news!

They sound like a pair of menaces!!

It's difficult to tell from your Avatar but are they giants? It's the sort of NORTINESS giants do....:lol:

It's not toxic as in poisonous but does have the potential to upset the gut. Feeding plenty of hay and skipping the other foods wouldn't hurt - I think they've probably got todays protein requirements :lol: Keep an eye out for the typical signs of gut issues ie lack of poop, lack of eating and looking uncomfortable (stomach pressing etc). If that happens then back to the vet, but otherwise they should be fine :)

That's good news!

They sound like a pair of menaces!!

It's difficult to tell from your Avatar but are they giants? It's the sort of NORTINESS giants do....:lol:

They are NZ whites, think that's a large rather than giant breed but I could be wrong. They are certainly VERY norty!! :lol:

Thanks again everyone. They seem fine at the moment, just keep following me around clearly wondering where their dinner is! I'm afraid it's just hay tonight!! :lol:

Here's George investigating the ill-fated milk bottle for some more milk whilst Bess looks on approvingly in the background.

Ahhh such cheeky buns! :love:

glad theyre ok they sound like such characters!
i have a norty bunny who got into a bag of his pellets not long after i first got him.
he ate so much he couldn't move! I was so worried but he was allright in the end.

Sorry I have got no advice.

Just have to say they look lovely norm buns. I can't believe what some buns eat and drink and get away with being fine. I know my bun Lola tries to steal or eat anything! Lol :love:

Ahhh such cheeky buns! :love:

glad theyre ok they sound like such characters!
i have a norty bunny who got into a bag of his pellets not long after i first got him.
he ate so much he couldn't move! I was so worried but he was allright in the end.

Slipper chewed a hole on his cage right where I was storing a bag of pellets on the other side, proceeded to stick his head through, rip the bag open & help himself :shock::roll: my mum & I were in stitches watching him do it then I moved the bag & didn't give him pellets that night. He was very unimpressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG that list of food that they ate had me laughing soooo much. All those pellets :shock:

I love the pic of the chewed up milk bottle and the approving looks!

Well this morning my two not-so-vegan bunnies are absolutely fine, everybun's poos are beautiful round and golden as well.

In fact they probably think a pint of milk should be added to their daily diet, along with some yogurt, cheese crackers, chocolate and fried chicken with a couple of crayons thrown in as well as they too taste oh so good.:roll: :lol:

Glad they are fine, my two norty trouble-makers. :love:

Back