• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone advertising as a rescue but how do you know it's true??

Gemboj

Young Bun
I've come across an advert for a pair that are neutered everything seems ok but not as good website as other rescues etc not offered a home visit!
What do you think?
They are older rabbits but they have a mixture of ages about 10 in total and requesting if anyone wants to surrender their bunnies to get in touch?!

I've come across an advert for a pair that are neutered everything seems ok but not as good website as other rescues etc not offered a home visit!
What do you think?
They are older rabbits but they have a mixture of ages about 10 in total and requesting if anyone wants to surrender their bunnies to get in touch?!

I'd be very wary of a rescue that doesnt homecheck. Do they ask anything about the home or check your knowledge of rabbit care? Are they a registered charity? Are you certain they really have had them neutered? Can they show proof of vaccination?

I'd also be wary of them inviting people to get in touch to give up rabbits, most rescues dont advertise the idea of calling them up as most are full to the brim with rabbits from neglectful or abusive homes and arent really in a position to take many on from just unwanted homes.

Also if your gut feeling is something doesnt seem quite right then avoid and look elsewhere.

Where abouts in Staffordshire are you? :wave:

I'd be very wary if a rescue are offering to take in rabbits, we very rarely have any space, and when we do the space is filled within days :( I'd also be concerned if they weren't home checking :/ x

If they aren't home checking, and are offering people to get in touch to surrender, there is something wrong. We cover Staffs and we turn down rabbits every single day, so for them to invite rabbits...no. I will likely know the rescue you are referring to.

Where abouts in Staffordshire are you? :wave:

I'd be very wary if a rescue are offering to take in rabbits, we very rarely have any space, and when we do the space is filled within days :( I'd also be concerned if they weren't home checking :/ x

Mmmmm I know - thanks for your advice!
I was literally just having a nose around and saw two that really caught my eye then as I read through I just thought 'this doesn't seen right'

Very strange In my opinion!
The guy did e mail me and said if I wanted a health check by a vet then I would need to pay him!!!

I am in stone :)
Have purchased all my accommodation but have no bunnies yet :( it's been a frustrating and unexpected start :( x

If they aren't home checking, and are offering people to get in touch to surrender, there is something wrong. We cover Staffs and we turn down rabbits every single day, so for them to invite rabbits...no. I will likely know the rescue you are referring to.

Yes I agree! Can they get into trouble for this or not?
I feel sorry for the bunnies though because they will probably never find a true loving home :(
I have the name if you want to take a look

I'd be very wary of a rescue that doesnt homecheck. Do they ask anything about the home or check your knowledge of rabbit care? Are they a registered charity? Are you certain they really have had them neutered? Can they show proof of vaccination?

I'd also be wary of them inviting people to get in touch to give up rabbits, most rescues dont advertise the idea of calling them up as most are full to the brim with rabbits from neglectful or abusive homes and arent really in a position to take many on from just unwanted homes.

Also if your gut feeling is something doesnt seem quite right then avoid and look elsewhere.

For sure didn't feel right :(
Why are people so dishonest!
He even has a donate button on the website!!
Thanks for advice x

I was literally just having a nose around and saw two that really caught my eye then as I read through I just thought 'this doesn't seen right'

The guy did e mail me and said if I wanted a health check by a vet then I would need to pay him!!!

Have purchased all my accommodation but have no bunnies yet :( it's been a frustrating and unexpected start :( x

I'm sure you would find some lovely bunnies in a proper rescue, my Dandy and Beano are from RSPCA Macclesfield and I love them with all my heart :love: Rescues are bursting at the seams with rabbits if all ages and sizes, singles and pairs, I know there will be some bunnies for you out there :thumb:

I'm sure you would find some lovely bunnies in a proper rescue, my Dandy and Beano are from RSPCA Macclesfield and I love them with all my heart :love: Rescues are bursting at the seams with rabbits if all ages and sizes, singles and pairs, I know there will be some bunnies for you out there :thumb:

Yes, We have absolutely loads of gorgeous buns in - as usual :thumb:

OMG:shock::shock::shock: - definately not a proper rescue! Plus if they dont vet check then i really dont believe they'll have neutered, afterall proper rescues get a full health check before neutering the bunny to make sure they are up to the op. Plus proper rescues vet check again just before you take home aswell.

Poor bunnies but definately dont support such a sham of a rescue, by adopting from them it will only encourage them to continue their poor practices. There are lots of good rescues around with lots of lovely bunnies to pick from, why not go visit one of those in person, your bound to fall in love with a pair. At least then you'll know your getting neutered buns, who have been health checked and treated if necessary, have been vaccinated and you'll be told honestly of any health problems that could possibly come back. Plus you'll have freed up 2 places in a good rescue for 2 more bunnies to be properly rescued into.

Last edited:
Yes, We have absolutely loads of gorgeous buns in - as usual :thumb:

They really do - if I won the lottery, I'd be adopting most of them :lol:

OMG:shock::shock::shock: - definately not a proper rescue! Plus if they dont vet check then i really dont believe they'll have neutered, afterall proper rescues get a full health check before neutering the bunny to make sure they are up to the op. Plus proper rescues vet check again just before you take home aswell.

Poor bunnies but definately dont support such a sham of a rescue, by adopting from them it will only encourage them to continue their poor practices. There are lots of good rescues around with lots of lovely bunnies to pick from, why not go visit one of those in person, your bound to fall in love with a pair. At least then you'll know your getting neutered buns, who have been health checked and treated if necessary, have been vaccinated and you'll be told honestly of any health problems that could possibly come back. Plus you'll have freed up 2 places in a good rescue for 2 more bunnies to be properly rescued into.

^^^^^^ this!!! I've just adopted two bunnies from a rescue yesterday and I love knowing I've helped 4 needy bunnies :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think?

Very few of the rescues near me homecheck, and I've had successful adoptions from them. To be honest I don't like a homecheck anyway so would prefer it.

Have they got a facebook page that they might have comments from people who have adopted from them? Or can you google their name and see if there's any negetive experiences? :wave:

Very few of the rescues near me homecheck, and I've had successful adoptions from them. To be honest I don't like a homecheck anyway so would prefer it.

Have they got a facebook page that they might have comments from people who have adopted from them? Or can you google their name and see if there's any negetive experiences? :wave:

Yeh they have and I had a nose through but seems they have a lot of babies too! Don't have a good feeling I don't know what it is x

They really do - if I won the lottery, I'd be adopting most of them :lol:

^^^^^^ this!!! I've just adopted two bunnies from a rescue yesterday and I love knowing I've helped 4 needy bunnies :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww I'm glad you've adopted!
We were so close to doing so then the female died :(
So I'm just looking around incase the female that's now bonded with the male doesn't work out for us!
Been a nightmare to be honest, I haven't seen many that have been suitable for our family locally :(

Same here. The view on homechecks on this forum confuses me. I thought rescues that don't homecheck are usually not genuine due to the way people talk on here, but then I've also been told by people on here that that isn't true. :?

Awww I'm glad you've adopted!
We were so close to doing so then the female died :(
So I'm just looking around incase the female that's now bonded with the male doesn't work out for us!
Been a nightmare to be honest, I haven't seen many that have been suitable for our family locally :(

Oh I didn't click earlier that it was yourself who was just about to adopt and then one of them died :cry: they were at Macclesfield rspca weren't they? I do know that they are very good at bonding there, and really know their bunnies characters well, so I am sure if they have a suitable female to bond with the boy, that it will all work out fine for you :thumb:

Oh I didn't click earlier that it was yourself who was just about to adopt and then one of them died :cry: they were at Macclesfield rspca weren't they? I do know that they are very good at bonding there, and really know their bunnies characters well, so I am sure if they have a suitable female to bond with the boy, that it will all work out fine for you :thumb:

Yes I have been informed that all is going well but then I've heard some people say a new bond can have its issues once home and also I need to meet the female as I don't think it's fair to take on a rabbit I've never met if that makes sense, I need to be 100% sure she is suitable for me because they are my life long friends after all.
Just feel abit fed up at the min because originally I was purchasing from a breeder then I changed my mind from advice on here, then I had bad luck with the poor female rabbit :( I dunno.
Just need everything to be 100% right in my gut! I've done everything recommended on here regarding housing and researched as much as possible just have no bunnies :( xx

Same here. The view on homechecks on this forum confuses me. I thought rescues that don't homecheck are usually not genuine due to the way people talk on here, but then I've also been told by people on here that that isn't true. :?

I think it depends on the area really. I'm so far from any rescues, its easier to try and get a vets reference or photos emailed to the rescue. Easy to lie doing it that way though!

I've had 3 rescue cats, 1 rescue bunny, 6 rescue dogs, and never had a homecheck.

I have just been to see Bruce and his new friend Mabel and we are going to adopt them :)
Changing Mabel's name though to Betsy :) x

I have just been to see Bruce and his new friend Mabel and we are going to adopt them :)
Changing Mabel's name though to Betsy :) x

That is great news, so glad it's worked out for you :thumb: we need pictures when you get them home :thumb:

Back