• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Face twitching

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

We have just noticed Jessica's mouth is twitching constantly on her left side and her mouth seems
to be raised ever so slightly. She's never done this before (only slightly when she sleeps) and we are really worried as she's been very poorly recently.

I'm not sure if it could be related but she is on Metacam daily now because of her arthritis.

She's eating and drinking as normal.

Has anyone had experience of this before?

Thanks,
Sarah and Dan

Oh poor thing!

I really hope it is nothing serious but I have to say, I'd be a bit worried its neurological. I've no experience of this particular problem but I'd certainly pop along to the vets.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more experience. :wave:

Thanks - we love them so much and hate seeing them when they're not feeling themselves.

Is there anything that makes you think it's neurological?

A check up would definitely be a good idea. The trouble with bunny heads is everything is close together so it could be something tooth related or ear related, and she's twitching as its uncomfortable or its putting pressure or a nerve. Or EC can have neurological symptoms which could cause twitching. Hopefully your vets can narrow it down.

A check up would definitely be a good idea. The trouble with bunny heads is everything is close together so it could be something tooth related or ear related, and she's twitching as its uncomfortable or its putting pressure or a nerve. Or EC can have neurological symptoms which could cause twitching. Hopefully your vets can narrow it down.

Yeah she is booked in tomorrow. The only vet we trust isn't back until then unfortunately. She has been struggling with her arthritis but if anything she seems improved at the moment and these new symptoms don't seem to be bothering her. She seems to fight us when we try to look in her mouth so that is maybe a clue but we managed a peek and her teeth seem ok but perhaps the gum is a little swollen, it's hard to tell.

Hopefully the vet can get to the bottom if it tomorrow.

Thanks

Back