• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caremel's Story (Warning Graphic Images)

TarpeyRabbit

Warren Scout
A few years ago I was lucky to be the caretaker of a Dutch rabbit called Caramel.

During my time with him he developed a lump on his jaw. After the vet had recommended I put him to sleep, I went for a second opinion. I decided as he was only 4 years old an operation to remove the lump would be worth it to hopefully give him a longer and better quality of life.

Luckily the lump was caused by a 'back growing tooth'. For those who don't know because I didn't, a back growing tooth is the tooth growing from the root back up into the jaw. The vet had to leave the wound open so I could apply cream and it would allow the skin to heal itself quicker with less chance of infection. I'm not a vet or medically trained so I am going on what I can remember.

Please do not use this as any medical advice I am not a vet. This is simply Caramel's story and what happened over 6 years ago.

After his operation he had to have injections every two days. I was at the time studying at university in Norwich so drove 2 hours home every 2 days to take him to the vets the go back to uni the next day. I would like to stress at this point my mum was looking after him while I was at uni but it was my choice to go through with the operation and my responsibility to make his vet appointments.

After a few months the injections were decreased till finally we got to once a week. He graced me with his love and affection for four more years when finally he passed away in my arms peacefully and full of love.

I miss him a lot and am getting chocked up writing this. He was an amazing bunny and here are some photos of him.

358_34292785741_4741_n.jpg

A few days after his op.

358_34292780741_4478_n.jpg

A week after his op he started scratching his wound and reopening it. He had to have a colour on for a few hours. We dressed his ears with cotten-wall to stop the plastic rubbing them.

1977189_10152262611125742_978442501_n.jpg

After his op

1977356_10152264912205742_763952678_n.jpg

Back to his mischievous self :)

3612_10152264910905742_71502098_n.jpg

1661122_10152264910530742_404233347_n.jpg

R.I.P my amazing boy X

what a lovely boy he was, and it's lovely to hear of such loving owners doing the best by their bunnies :love:

Oh gosh, I bet you are so glad you went for a second opinion and managed to get those extra years with him :love: What a lovely looking bun he was

You DOUBLED his lifespan by making that decision. Good on you! :thumb: He was a gorgeous boy and very lucky to have you. :love:

AMETHYST

Thank you all for your very kind words.

I was really worried about posting on forums as I work with social media I know how frankly brutal some people can be. But I have found this place and everyone on it just so lovely and I love seeing photos of everyone's beautiful buns. I am hooked on this forum! Thank you X :love:

Back