• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed today not eating

pippa

Young Bun
Hiya

Well today I got my smudge spayed I picked her up from the vets at 6 pm
She hasn't eaten a thing or had a drink, I have given her lots of love but thought I'd leave her in piece as I'm sure in wldnt want someone all over me if I had a operation
Where you rabbits the same? Is there anything I can do to encourage her to eat and not eating
Worried about her :'(

My vet asked my to bring in all her fav foods when I had her spayed. she was slow to eat but eat a few little bits.

I had herbs, carrot peelings, apple even the unhealthy bunny treats and a little bit of grass just to encourage her.

I am sure someone with more experience will be along soon and offer proper advice.

I think it's common for them to take a while to come round, try leaving lots of different foods out for her and if she hasn't eating anything by morning I'd give your vet a call. Did you get pain relief to bring home?

When I had my 2 girls done they had little nibbles but not much. The vet said not to worry about them not eating until the next day, so using that advice; don't worry tonight, leave them their favourite treats out (even bad ones they shouldn't have!) as well as hay, including pellets, muesli, etc, etc and of course water and let her relax tonight.

If she's still not eating in the morning you MUST ring your vet and make sure they know it's an emergency case as she's not eating.

Did they send her home with pain relief and gut stimulant? Make sure you keep on top of those.

If she has water in a bottle (mine do) I took the bottle to them and they drank like that. Take the water to her as she may physically not want to move (I've had major ops in the past and I didn't want to move either).

Try not to worry too much; if you only picked her up at 6pm she's probably still got Anaesthetic running through her which will make her sleepy and uninterested in food/water.

See what she's like in the morning; make a mental note of how much food you leave her with, offer her favourites in the morning and if she's still refusing to eat/drink then get onto the vet. Don't panic just yet as it's still very early days :)

OK have put parsley pellets hay, etc bit of carrot etc quess she just needs time, :-(
No pain relief?
What did they give ur rabbit! She is a outside rabbit but I have brought her in so I can keep a eye on her x

OK have put parsley pellets hay, etc bit of carrot etc quess she just needs time, :-(
No pain relief? Or gut stimulant :-(
What did they give ur rabbit! She is a outside rabbit but I have brought her in so I can keep a eye on her x

Thanks for all replies has put my mind at ease;-)

Don't worry tonight, it is normal for them not to start eating again for a bit, a spay is a major op. They should've given her pain relief while she was there, but she will definitely need more for the next few days. I would ring them in the morning and request some metacam. She will be very sore for a good few days. Give her a bowl of water as well as a bottle, and keep offering her yummy things, eventually she will nibble something. Usually hay first, in my experience. I hope she starts munching soon x

Hi pippa,
When one of my girls got spayed she did take a little while to eat, but it's still very early, she'll still be drowsy. I ended up syringe feeding my girl for a few days. Keeping her in is the right thing, the anesthetic will make her unable to control her body temperature so you'll need to keep her warm, have you got one of them microwave heat pads? Don't worry if you haven't it'll be warm enough for her indoors.
I would also put a bowl of water near her too, I think they find it easier to drink from a bowl, so she may find this easier.
My vet gave me 7 days of metacam pain relief so I do think you should ring the vet in the morning and get some. It's quite a major op.
I hope she has a restful night, and is nibbling away by morning.

Hello :wave:
You've already been given some great advice so I just wanted to add some (((nomming vibes))) for Smudge. :love:

I'm in the same place as you, my girl Phoebe was spayed today too. Try not to worry, (I'm one to talk :oops::lol:) but she's inside in the warm where you can keep an eye on her and hopefully she will be nomming soon.x

Hi pippa,
When one of my girls got spayed she did take a little while to eat, but it's still very early, she'll still be drowsy. I ended up syringe feeding my girl for a few days. Keeping her in is the right thing, the anesthetic will make her unable to control her body temperature so you'll need to keep her warm, have you got one of them microwave heat pads? Don't worry if you haven't it'll be warm enough for her indoors.
I would also put a bowl of water near her too, I think they find it easier to drink from a bowl, so she may find this easier.
My vet gave me 7 days of metacam pain relief so I do think you should ring the vet in the morning and get some. It's quite a major op.
I hope she has a restful night, and is nibbling away by morning.

Hiya
I have got a heat pad so will pop one in when I go to bed have just put some soft blankets in there so it's nice and comfy and will pop a bowl of water in there as well! Bless her she looks so sad! Yeah I will give them a call in the morning re. Pain relief
I hope she does to I'm sure she will be munching away by the morning,
Many thanks everyone for ur helpful replies :)

tabby rabbit was in a terrible state after her spay and it took 3 days for her to eat properly. she saw the vet every day during that period and had lots of pain relief.

Hello :wave:
You've already been given some great advice so I just wanted to add some (((nomming vibes))) for Smudge. :love:

I'm in the same place as you, my girl Phoebe was spayed today too. Try not to worry, (I'm one to talk :oops::lol:) but she's inside in the warm where you can keep an eye on her and hopefully she will be nomming soon.x

Argh hope pheobe okay and eating lots by tomorrow too :)
X

Hope bunny has had a restful night. Try tempting her to eat with some Spring Greens, dandelion leaves or grass from a trusted source. She probably won't want pellets yet, maybe later today.

Well after setting my alarm to check on Smudge during the night she seems OK! Has eaten a bit of hay and parsley and had a drink! Still looking sad and not moving around a lot! Very sleepy! Bless her :-* gonna pop and get some different hay! X

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Well after setting my alarm to check on Smudge during the night she seems OK! Has eaten a bit of hay and parsley and had a drink! Still looking sad and not moving around a lot! Very sleepy! Bless her :-* gonna pop and get some different hay! X

I'm glad she's feeling better. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah that's good that's she's nibbling and drinking, maybe keep her in another day or two.
Did you ring the vets about pain relief?

Hiya
yeah she is really quiet but has had a little poo and passed urine been nibbling on hay mostly today! Yeah I'm going to keep her in tonight and tomorrow day see how she is! She relaxin in the lounge bless her!
Yeah rang them today told me she wld be OK so basically said if u had this operation wld u not want painkiller ;-)
so hubbie just off to get them now Xx

Hiya
yeah she is really quiet but has had a little poo and passed urine been nibbling on hay mostly today! Yeah I'm going to keep her in tonight and tomorrow day see how she is! She relaxin in the lounge bless her!
Yeah rang them today told me she wld be OK so basically said if u had this operation wld u not want painkiller ;-)
so hubbie just off to get them now Xx

Good for you! I think most buns on here who I've read about come home with pain relief after being spayed. Like you say, if I'd had it done I'm sure I would want pain relief! Some buns on here love the taste of it too, which may help, as giving the metacam is tricky to say the least, I generally found it easier to wrap bun in a towel and get my other half to find the side of her mouth and inject it in. You may be able to do it with her on the ground too. Good luck x

Back