• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Off to the 'not dead' hamster and hungry rabbit house this morning U/D

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Im cleaning the house this morning where she didn't check if the hamster was dead for over 2 hours and the rabbit was without food/hay/water, again!

Ive got a big bag of my hay and a bag of my pellets. Hoping I don't need to use them as she said last Friday when there was no food/hay left that she was going shopping over the weekend.

I hope the hamster either passed quickly because she said it didn't seem well, OR made a massive recovery once the heating was back on in the house if it was hibernating. If it did pass away I really hope she hasn't bought the kids another one!

Cant say I am looking forward to this......

Last edited:
Hamster was fine, came out to see me, it did have a bit of food, but I topped it right up just incase. It proceeded to fill its cheeks with the dinner, it was so cute (never had a hamster)

The bunny had hay and food, sadly not in the hutch and the hay bag hadn't been opened so that means no hay since last Friday when I went. It had been fed at some time as the food bag was open and it wasn't muesli this time it was Harringtons??

It now has loads and loads of hay and I filled the pellets right up to the top, I know we all just give a handful a day but I wont be there till next Friday.

I left the lady a note saying that I had let the dog out for a wee, fed and watered the rabbit, topped up her hay and wow how she loves her hay (nudge nudge!) and hamster etc. Then I added that I thought the rabbit was just so cute and when the kids get bored of her I would happily take her in a heartbeat. So I shall see what next week brings.

My problem is what to do if she does want me to take the rabbit. There is no way I can have a 4th unsprayed, unvaccinated rabbit, from a financial point of view and a time factor too.

I would 'rescue' her but then I would have to find somebody prepared to give her the life she deserves.

Hi, thank goodness this little bunny has you to watch out for her.
On your last thread binky helper said they could take the rabbit if you could get her, so maybe you could pm them and see if the offer still stands.

Awwwww... Bless you for keeping a watch over her. :love:

This thread really sticks with me... I think about it often. Must be an awkward situation to be in, but in my humble opinion, I think you're handling it really well and with a lot of care/respect.

If binky helper is in a position to help, I'm sure she would - she's lovely. :thumb:

Keep us posted.xx

Hi, thank goodness this little bunny has you to watch out for her.
On your last thread binky helper said they could take the rabbit if you could get her, so maybe you could pm them and see if the offer still stands.

Yes I remember her kind offer, something I will definitely have to look into if the lady decides she wants me to take the rabbit.

My hubby had a bit of a hissy fit when I suggested it coming here even as a temporary, but I can win him round.

The lady has just text me while I was typing this. I think Ive upset her.

She said thanks for the housework but can I leave the animals in future as one of the kids sorts them on a Friday after school and she would rather I cleaned the bathroom.

That was it no smiley face or anything that I usually get.

What annoys me the most is I did clean the :evil:bathroom!

This isn't a match made in heaven.

Yes I remember her kind offer, something I will definitely have to look into if the lady decides she wants me to take the rabbit.

My hubby had a bit of a hissy fit when I suggested it coming here even as a temporary, but I can win him round.

The lady has just text me while I was typing this. I think Ive upset her.

She said thanks for the housework but can I leave the animals in future as one of the kids sorts them on a Friday after school and she would rather I cleaned the bathroom.

That was it no smiley face or anything that I usually get.

What annoys me the most is I did clean the :evil:bathroom!

This isn't a match made in heaven.

:shock:

My gut response? She can probably see the good you're doing and maybe it's making her feel uncomfortable....

Maybe... Maybe not... :?

Oh God how flaming annoying. She is probably feeling criticised/defensive.

You poor thing. It must be extremely frustrating.

Argh!

Ive replied and apologised for taking the daughters weekly job away,etc with smiley faces trying to lighten the situation. Then changed tacks and said that I am running low on a couple of things and will get them for next week.

Shes replied alright to that message so maybe I am forgiven! So at least I know for the moment my job is ok but my conscience isn't ok.

I cant be in a house knowing the animals are hungry. Last week it was awful doing the ironing thinking that the hamster was dead upstairs.

Why do I feel bad when its her that's not doing her bit:?.

I do agree with both of you that I must have pricked her conscience.

Yes my offer still stands!!!  just want this bunny to have a nice safe home where hay is given daily xxx

Aww bless you. I am really hoping that shes realised what shes done, or rather not done. I do feel very awkward about it but my duty is to the animals not to whether her bin gets emptied.

Ahhhh, I see you have back up... :thumb::love:

It's truly not a nice situation to be in. :( but you are doing all you can. xx

I'm sorry to be a pain, but this situation you've found yourself in with bunny and hammy keeps popping up in my mind... :oops: Just wondering how things are going at the moment? Xx :wave:

Perhaps you could say that you would really like to help on a Tuesday or something (dunno what days you do) as animals don't just need once a week care, they need daily care. This doesn't take away from the kids job, but it allows you to add to it.

Stupid cow, is there anything you could snidely do? Such as put loads and loads of food and hay in the hutch as soon as you arrive, and then as soon as you leave, take it out so there's only a small amount left which she won't notice as she doesn't give a damn, so rabbit still has everything it needs when you aren't there?

What about feeding the rabbit etc and don't tell her in a note? I doubt she'd notice anyway...

Then if she questions you about it, tell her that you really like working there, you like the family and her but you also like the pets and as a keeper of rabbits you know how much care they actually need. You can be totally honest and say that you didn't mean to cause any harm, but it was upsetting you as rabbits are the 3rd most popular, yet the 1st most abused and you always like to help if you can.

You could always accidentally 'lose' the rabbit. Or the RSPCA might have something to say legally if you call them listing out the situation?

I'm sorry you're in such a horrible situation, maybe an ultimatum might work? Perhaps say that you cannot stand to see animals not treated 100%, and it is upsetting you too much that you cannot work for her any more.

I don't really know what else to suggest, I think I'd just carry on feeding the rabbit and maybe if you can, put said rabbit in a portable puppy pen for a run outside whilst you're there? Then he's getting exercise and food on a basis of when you're there, which is better than not at all.

Stand your ground, whatever you do!

Back