• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decent Grooming Brush & More fibre whilst moulting Advice please

Den

Mama Doe
Wasnt sure of where to post this.

Had a bit of a scare with Will this morning, not wanting his breakfast, quite lethargic and kept laying down and flopping.

He'd done this once before and he'd been rushed to the vets who could find nothing the matter and by the time we got back home he was eating, pooping and tearing about.

Anyway I wanted to take him to the vets, OH said to leave it a little while and see if he perked up. He picked at a couple of bits of hay so I had to go to work as I was the only one with a key this morning but OH was at home and promised to keep me updated and if he hadnt eaten or pooped with 2 hours I would meet him at the vets.

Got a text about an hour later, OH had picked him up and rubbed his tummy and when he put him back in their run he was fine, eating, grooming himself and Nancy and pooping.

Sorry, digressing from questions!:oops: Both buns are moulting and I think Will maybe had a bit of fur that he had trouble passing as Ive noticed one or two furry poops recently, but not sure who they belong too. Will is half the size of Nancy and is always grooming her so I think he maybe ingesting more fur than is good for a little bun. I've got a brush but its only a soft bristle one and they're being brushed daily, OH had the idea to wet the bristles today as the brush is frankly rubbish and Nancy is quite good at laying still and letting me run damp hands over her.

So as per my thread title are there any brushes that work well on removing the lose fur and also should I be giving them any fibre supplements (especially Will) or if they have a good amount of hay/grass should this keep everything moving.

Also, just a theory, do you think rabbits know they need a good amount of fibre during moulting, mine are going mad for hay at the moment (Deans Meadow Hay) and even the bed time treats were disregarded the minute I put handfuls of the new hay in.

Sorry this will be a rushed reply

Best thing for 'grooming' a Rabbit in heavy moult is with damp hands, you can gently pluck the very lose fur out and by running damp hands over the coat lots of more fur comes away. A round ended comb can also be used

Hay,hay,hay, lots of water, lots of exercise and more hay will aid optimum gut motility

Thank you Jane.:thumb:

They have permanent access to a 6x8 run. But after work everyday and longer at weekends they're either carried to an even bigger lawn run or if its wet we block off the patio access to the lawn and they free range the patio, side of house and in garage. We don't go out at weekends any more we get wrapped up and sit in the garage:D.

Incidentally Will was fine this morning, up on his back legs to beg for his RR. I was very nervous when I went out especially as I'm stupidly very superstitious and there was a single magpie on the fence when I went out to them.

I've not heard the damp hands thing before. I've been finding my brush is rubbish too and Millie doesn't like it. Maddie is less fussed if there is food involved. Millie will tolerate being ruffled if there's a fenugreek crunchie involved though. So I will have to try the damp hands thing :)

Back