• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flea problem!

ripply

Young Bun
I took Gizmo to the vets yesterday as I noticed he was a bit itchy around the top of his ears and the skin looked a bit scurfy. The vet looked at him and said it was just dandruff like humans get. I wasn't convinced because the skin also looked a little inflamed. The vet went off to get some hibiscrub and told me to dilute it and apply it for a week. But before he came back in with it, I noticed a flea on Gizmo's ear and called the vet back quickly. He then give him a dose of xeno 450. We couldn't find any more fleas but I'm aware that if he has one, there is more. I feel terrible about this as he is groomed every evening but I have not noticed any fleas and its really making me feel like an irresponsible owner. I was using the beapher spot on but stopped once winter arrived as I thought it best to give him a break from these chemicals. I asked the vet if I should use the xeno every month and he said it might be a good idea but I've been reading online that its best to only dose rabbits if they actually have a problem. I'm really keen to keep using something to keep parasites at bay as I feel so awful about this. Is it safe to keep using it? Is the Advantage spot on better? I disinfect his hutch with virkon S, is this good enough? He goes in the garden for hours every day and I've heard they can get fleas off the ground. Would it be best to use rearguard as well? Although I'm not that keen on chemicals, I can't stand the thought of parasites on my bunny. It's made me feel like such a bad mum.

I would only use a Flea Treatment if there is evidence of infestation or if the Rabbit is in the vicinity of a high myxomatosis risk. The chemicals are really nasty and in all my 17 years of caring for numerous (well over 100) Rabbits I have only used a flea treatment on a couple of occasions.

Fleas are not always an indication of poor care, they are just one of the things that can happen when keeping Pet Rabbits.

I would only treat if/when you see fleas but would definitely use advantage from the vet rather than beapher spot on which is mostly ineffective so just pointless chemicals!

Like Jane said, you are certainly not doing anything wrong to result in fleas, it just happens!

Back