• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to buy a new hutch?

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Looking to get a new hutch for the summer for Mary and Zoidberg...

Where's a good place to get one?

The welfare hutch company seem good... But wondered if anyone had any advice? :wave:

I have a welfare hutch one for the belgian hares. Its good. They are strong and sturdy but not as gorgeous as ryedale or boyles pet housing but not as expensive either. I am happy with it.

Their customer service is excellent and they only sell decent sized hutches so worth supporting from that point of view too. I like the look of their tunnels and stuff as well.

I have a welfare hutch one for the belgian hares. Its good. They are strong and sturdy but not as gorgeous as ryedale or boyles pet housing but not as expensive either. I am happy with it.

Their customer service is excellent and they only sell decent sized hutches so worth supporting from that point of view too. I like the look of their tunnels and stuff as well.

Thank you. Looked at the 2 you mentioned and as nice as they look, they are expensive! So I think I'll go with the welfare place, unless anyone else has any suggestions. :)

Ive got a welfare hutches double hutch and one of their runs. They are really cheap for the excellent quality that you get - they are good thick t&g cladding and frames, have good strong bolts on, etc. Their pipe connectors are really good too.

His customer service is brilliant. Plus as tulsi says he only makes hutches that meet or exceed the RWAF minimum guidelines (6x2x2) because he is really passionate about rabbit welfare, so well worth supporting.

Last edited:
Welfare hutch it is then!

Will check out their current hutch first, double check I can't fix it up but I think it's on its last legs and won't survive being moved out into the garden from the shed.

Then I need to decide what one to get! The one with the small run underneath sold out today :(

Sorry to be a pain, could I also ask what hutches you've got from there? :)

I'm. Thinking maybe the one with the 8ft run underneath, either that or a hutch and run separate....

This is of course if I can't fix their current one up!

We had ours made by a carpenter. A lot cheaper than we thought and some main companies plus we got the size and height we wanted and he treated it.

1070071_10151735434490742_1201643465_n.jpg

It's 6foot length by 3foot width and we made it extra high so they could go under it on hot days and lay on the paving slabs. £35 including delivery.

The hutch is always open they are never confined to the hutch. They are also house rabbits so they are only out during the day.

943660_10151735434890742_111899640_n.jpg

I have a 6x2 double connected via runaround (unfortunately welfare hutches version wasn't out then or id have had that), to an 6.5x6 run (also welfare hutches).

Personally i prefer the run to be attached via a pipe than the hutches with underruns.

I have the 6 x 2 hutch inside a 10 x 6 aivery run. I agree about runs being attached by pipes being better than a run underneath the hutch.

I have the 6 x 2 hutch inside a 10 x 6 aivery run. I agree about runs being attached by pipes being better than a run underneath the hutch.

Any reason why? :)

Tomorrow is the day I inspect my current hutch properly to see if I can fix it.... :)

My prefence for hutch with pipe connecting to run rather than hutch with underrun is that i feel hutches with underruns are a bit unnatural. Someone a while back pointed out to me that "If a rabbit is frightened instinct tells it to get underground into a warren, whereas with a hutch over a run the most covered/sheltered/best hidy area is up a ramp. So its like the opposite of what instinct tells them to do" - i had to agree with this statement, it makes a lot of sense and certainly ties in with the behaviour i've seen from my buns - i.e. it doesnt matter what hide boxes there are in the run, if they are frightened they run to their pipe, and if they are upstairs in the hutch, unless they are already most of the way into the bedroom compartment when they get scared, they turn, run down the ramp and either into the tunnel or the dark part of the hutch downstairs.

I also feel the pipe from the hutch seems to add a lot of enrichment to their environment too (more so than just having pipes in the run). The other benefit of a seperate run attached by only a pipe, is it can be moved around the garden easily.

I've got a welfare hutch with the run underneath. It would be prefect if the run supported the hutch but it doesn't, so I'm settling for 90% perfect.

Charley loves it though, the ramp isn't attached like they usually are, it is hooked on so easy to get off and it won't break like many ramps in my old hutches/runs! If we had the space (need to fit 4 cars behind the gate) then I would go for a hutch, tunnel and run but space wise (and to keep my lovely and accommodating mother happy) the hutch and underrun was the best for us. Charley is still very nervous of everything so usually darts up into her bed area to hide most of the time.

Good quality wood, looks awesome painted.. if I say so myself ;) When the weather is warmer we're going to make a proper support for the hutch so I don't have to have the awful looking chunk of wood in the run!

Hutch -

All of it - I can't find a picture of it without the cover on!

Back