• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can our indoor bunnies start going out for playtime?

xClairex

Alpha Buck
I am finally moving to a house with a garden, I'll be in by next Friday.
Angel has been an indoor rabbit for about 5 years now and I cant wait to let her and Henry have supervised playtime outside (wont have the aviary built just yet coz I'm broke!)

So when would it be safe and warm enough to start letting them have a few hours outside each day?

When the temperature isn't much different to that in the house. Also if they are going to be on grass don't let them out for long, I would say 10 minutes at a time as spring grass is very rich and they can then have trouble with their gut.

My indoor bun goes out all the time even during the winter although the temp of the room she lives in is never any higher than 18. I think the problem is the other way around, bringing outdoor bunnies in for playtime then taking them back out into the cold. As suggested build up the out door time a little longer every week half an hour 45 mins and hour etc regarding the eating of fresh grass.

Thank you both :)
I'll start letting them out a little bit at a time, I cant wait for them to be able to play around outside.

I think Im gonna wait for a couple more weeks yet and then see before letting them properly play outside. I worry about Betty's chest though because when she gets her eye infections, they make her sneeze a little and im worried now about her getting respiratory infections.

They keep looking out of the patio window though!

I'm hoping to move mine back in the shed over the weekend... pending the windows being fixed!!! its actually quite nice during the day at the moment so i would imagine itd be ok :)

I started taking mine out this week just a little time each day. This weekends meant to be nice so i'll have them out all day as I'll be gardening and essential maintenance on the fence and outside hutch as a tree fell on it. :oops:

I might leave it a few more weeks then especially with them both being older bunnies, I would hate for anything to make them ill.
We wont be in the new house until next Friday so maybe a week or 2 after that I will start letting them out.

Back